• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printable stock with transparent or semi transparent background suitable for Eco Solvent (S80600)

robynd

Hi all. Really appreciate anyone's help on this one!

I need to find a stock with either a transparent, or a semi transparent, possibly glassine type carrier stock which is suitable for Eco Solvent ink, specifically the Epson S80600.

Most carrier stocks that I can find which are for the vinyl stocks are fairly dense. I'm chasing something that will work in a similar scenario to a label die cutter, where a light detects the difference between label and "gap".

It doesn't necessarily need to be a vinyl.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of material, or perhaps have knowledge of any stocks I could try?

As I said, really appreciate any ideas out there you may have.

Cheers,
Robyn

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
There's very little vinyl that a solvent or eco-solvent machine won't print on. I have come across one and only one vinyl that wouldn't print properly, an Arlon product if memory serves. The biggest difference between media that's designated 'printable and media that is not is that the printable is supposed to be free of and fingerprints and the like. The other media is not. In many years of ordering short rolls of media not designated as printable and printing on them I have yet to encounter any contamination. I can't say the same for full rolls of printable media.

robynd

Could you give an example of what you'd be using this material for?
Hi mim, Thanks for your help.
It will be used in an industrial hybrid of a standard labelling type machine. Just as in a standard labelling machine has an eye that detects where a label starts by throwing light through the material and determining where there is a contrast change, so will this. In this scenario, the eye scans the material and using the opacity of the material, will determine where a label starts. So the transparency must be significantly different between a weeded and a non weeded area. Unfortunately, most of the stocks I am finding that work in the ECO sol inks of the S80600 are either craft paper or PP type carrier stock which aren't sufficiently less dense than the actual label stock. Meaning the "eye" can't reliably pick up the difference.
Not sure how well I am explaining this one! :)

robynd

Thanks caribmike, unfortunately, the back-lit transparency films I know have similar carrier stocks. If you know one that has a more transparent backing stock, perhaps you could let me know which one you are referring to?

robynd

Thanks Boudica, The stock to be printed on still does need to be a white stock. It is just the carrier / backing stock I need to be transparent. So that when weeded, the difference between the weeded and non-weeded is significant enough.

robynd

There's very little vinyl that a solvent or eco-solvent machine won't print on. I have come across one and only one vinyl that wouldn't print properly, an Arlon product if memory serves. The biggest difference between media that's designated 'printable and media that is not is that the printable is supposed to be free of and fingerprints and the like. The other media is not. In many years of ordering short rolls of media not designated as printable and printing on them I have yet to encounter any contamination. I can't say the same for full rolls of printable media.
Hi bob, Thanks for your help.
Yes, I agree, there are definitely many stocks that are not necessarily printable, that are in fact printable. However it is that elusive backing / carrier stock that I am after. One that has a clear, or almost clear backing. I have tried a couple of offset stocks with a glassine back and have found they are very porous and the ink bleeds considerably and appears washed out. So I am trying to find something, more in the vinyl range of stocks that have that transparent carrier stock.

CanuckSigns

3m 7725 is a 2 mil vinyl on a clear synthetic liner, it's not specifically for printing, but as Bob said, it can be done.

Saturn

Aging Member
If you're doing the labeling in-house you might have more success tinkering with or changing the sensor itself.

I used to work bindery in printshops/lettershops and almost everything had some sort of LED/photoresistor "eye" for counting or activating things. The science behind them is as simple as it gets, and all you need is that "pulse" toggling on and off. If you're in a decent sized city I'd think there's still some print industry mechanics or electricians running around that could jerry-rig you something. That way you could read just from the front surface of the material.

robynd

If you're doing the labeling in-house you might have more success tinkering with or changing the sensor itself.

I used to work bindery in printshops/lettershops and almost everything had some sort of LED/photoresistor "eye" for counting or activating things. The science behind them is as simple as it gets, and all you need is that "pulse" toggling on and off. If you're in a decent sized city I'd think there's still some print industry mechanics or electricians running around that could jerry-rig you something. That way you could read just from the front surface of the material.
Thanks Saturn. That would absolutely be my preference too. Unfortunately, it's not our applicator machine and we don't have that option.