• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed Decals for 1/64 diecast cars

kritze66

Does anyone know a good brand of new decal printer paper to run in High end machines? The business i use to print my decals has run out of the paper - from the 1990's (I was the only customer for it) and doesn't want to use any more unless new paper has been improved to run through his printers. He would have to tape 80 pound paper to the the decal paper to get it to run through the machine. Thanks ahead of time if anyone can help me out.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
You're going to need to be more specific with what you want. What type of printer do you want to run the media through? "high end" is very non-specific. Are you an end user or producing them for a customer? Not producing them yourself? Why not? Self-adhesive? Clear/white/other media?

Help us help you.

Aren't most of the scale model things done with water slide decals?

kritze66

You're going to need to be more specific with what you want. What type of printer do you want to run the media through? "high end" is very non-specific. Are you an end user or producing them for a customer? Not producing them yourself? Why not? Self-adhesive? Clear/white/other media?

Help us help you.

Help us help you.

Yes they are water slide decals. I am trying to find out the model of machine my printer is using for the past decals. I create the designs and he prints them for me personally. I customize some cars for our yearly toy show.

VizualVoice

Well I've used a fair bit of waterslide paper in the past so feel qualified to give input here. It makes for a very thin decal that's a lot easier to bury underneath automotive clear than vinyl, which I what I primarily use it for in my hydrographics business.

You basically have 2 options to choose from laser printer or inkjet, I'd suggest whichever you happen to already have as then both work fine with one caveat - if your inkjet is dye-based ink it'll likely bleed unless you clear coat (rattle can lacquer works great) it before dunking it in the water to apply. If you're using an epson or something else with pigment inks (or laser toner) this isn't a problem as the pigment inks are not water soluble.

They both will come with either white backing or clear backing, and either of them can be contour cut with your plotter. You will want to leave a small amount of bleed. Be aware they are very thick to print (heavier than card stock) and thin to cut so plan on a little bit of scrap to try to get your settings dialed in just right. If laser, use the heaviest paper setting possible and run a sheet or two of regular paper right ahead of it to preheat the fuser for the best quality.

If you ARE planning to clear coat over either of them (like I did with automotive clear), a light mist of the lacquer prior to your regular clear is helpful for the laser, the toner can bleed just enough to give fuzzy edges if you hammer the clear on too heavy to try to bury it faster. Only ran into that when I was in a hurry though of course . Never experienced that with the epson printed inkjet one.

Hayes paper is one brand that I know of. I'm pretty sure that's what this gal sells in small quantity if that's what you're looking for, and I've had good experience purchasing from her in the past, primary though eBay and then her website: https://www.etsy.com/listing/196599278/waterslide-decal-paper-white-clear-for?

kritze66

No, water slide
Yes they are water slide decals. I am trying to find out the model of machine my printer is using for the past decals. I create the designs and he prints them for me personally. I customize some cars for our yearly toy show.

Help us help you.

The printer is a Ricoh 7210SX.

VizualVoice

BTW did you read my message above about the paper? Do you own a printer? You can solve this yourself and bring it in house if you want.
If you don't want, I bet anyone of us here would be happy to do it for a stupid amount of $ per sheet. :cool:

kritze66

Is there a question in there?

Looks like that's a laser printer, but it sounds like you don't own it so.... ‍♂️
Is there a question in there?

Looks like that's a laser printer, but it sounds like you don't own it so.... ‍♂️
You asked me what the printer was, so i was just telling you. I just want to know what decal paper will run through the machine if anyone knows. I like buying from this businessman. He's a friend and i want to help his local business out. He hasn't had time yet to research yet and i have a time crunch to finish the cars. I think i will try the Hayes paper. I Thank You All for your input!