• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed vinyl lifting on edges

GoodPeopleFlags

Fairly new to printing but not to signs so sorry this is a "newb" question. I've been noticing lately that my printed vinyl will start lifting when it's printed and cut right to the edge. I've read around here about that happing but haven't read what to do about it or how to avoid it. I've noticed that it's on non-laminated vinyl. It may happen when it's laminated, too, but I haven't noticed so far. I'm using Oracal 3651RA. Weird that we haven't changed vinyl and I've only recently had a problem with this. What do you think?

Malkin

Is this happening on vinyl that has been applied to a surface, or just print&cut and it curls while still on the liner?

Basically calendered vinyl has a tendency to shrink over time, and when it's hit with the solvents (that carry the ink) it speeds up the process and the shrinking causes curling around the edges.

For print & cut decals, (using that same media or similar) that are printed to the edge, I have started letting the solvents evaporate out (sometimes called outgassing) before putting it back in to cut. Usually I try to wait 24 hrs or more. Obviously you have to use the 4 bullet registration marks (like you would if laminating) with this process.

GoodPeopleFlags

It's only happening after it's applied to something. I did a small coro sign last week that had a reverse printed at the top of the sign and it was white on the bottom. The edges of the printed reverse were curling up from the edge of the coro but the white vinyl didn't.

What you say makes sense. Will laminating the print keep this from happening? (After waiting the appropriate time to laminate, of course.)

Malkin

dry time is more important than the laminate.

Sometimes laminates can make it worse, like if you use an ultra cheap calandered.

DRamm76

Print it out and let it sit for a bit before you laminate or cut it. Cutting it too soon even if it's not laminated will cause it to curl up on edges.