• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printers... what kind should i use/buy - used

knightsarmore

i have been doing banners, vehicle rta and assorted signs and want to start doing small jobs on my own. i am trying to figure out which printer would be best. i have been using a mimaki and find it to work great, but want to know what others are worth while, i am now using cs6 on a mac. i heard roland is tricky since there is know way to do my own repairs if it breaks down. are there ones i should stay away from??
what about laminators, are there ones i should stay aways from??

mrugen

Lamiantors

In regard to laminators, be sure to stay away from the really cheap ones. Typically, they can have issues and getting parts or help can be rough. There re lots of affordable ones. I m most familiar with SEAL and GBC laminators. Both well made and both supported here in h USA vey well. SEL laminators are actually made n the USA.

Both SEAL and GBC have "entry level" laminators for around the 5K mark. But when you buy, think about our shop needs not just now but like 5 years rom now. Also, highly recommend a "heat assist" where top roller warms up to help soften PS laminate adhesive for better adhesion ad to get rid of silvering. Also,recommend getting roll-to-toll options for those possible long runs.

Finally, get training. Learn how to web properly and learn how to do some basic applications.

Here's a good link or a checklist, before you buy: http://thinkseal.com/sealblog/about-seal/what-to-consider-before-buying-a-laminator/

threeputt

Be careful of random, stray advice from people. (Roland's can't be worked on, "no way to do my own repairs")

Roland is a very, very solid machine. It can be self-serviced if that's your thing. We use techs, except for routine maintenance and I don't think that's what you're talking about. (replacing wipers, spit pads, capping stations, etc.)

I just sold a 54" machine that was printing beautifully after seven years. It was running in my shop (sometimes all day long) 5 days a week all that time. The Roland test chart was printed out for the buyer (while he stood by) and he was very impressed. So you can get a very good used machine for $7500. Or Roland will sell you a new machine with great buyer incentives.

Good luck.

Robert M

Single head printers are easy tho work on

Look for a printer with a single print head (DX5, 6, 7). They are easy to work on and the newer heads seem to last longer than old multi head printers (dx4)
A JV33 or a Valuejet are way less to maintain than say an older Roland XC series.

Mutoh 54" printers can be had for under 11k new.

mrugen

Good advise, threeputt

threeputt makes a good point. I might add, that most printers are good until you don't do the maintenance. Develop a plan for each day, week, month and year. Something you need to do at each point, and most printers will serve you well.

That said...I bought a used Mutoh a few years ago, about years old already, and did the maintenance and it lasted till a tornado blew my shop away two years after that. Nice products from Mutoh.