• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Individual Sheet on an Epson s40600

Saturn

Aging Member
It's no different than printing to a roll, depending how long the job is. Only downside to the Epson is that unlike a lot of other machines you have to manually cut the sheet off, which takes some dexterity and practice if you want a really straight cut for the laminator... But I print rolls and sheets all the time, I'm sure all of us do, nothing special differentiating the two concepts.

scrubz

When load a sheet(@24" long) then close the lever, the roll feed in the back spins for a while then it tells me I have mis fed the media

Saturn

Aging Member
Ohhh, I see what you mean, I'm terrible at making assumptions.

24" seems pretty short, I know I've printed right up to the end of a roll after cutting it away from the tube, but never specifically started with anything shorter than 5-6' feet. I'm sure there's a hard limit where the back sensor won't let you feed any further if it doesn't sense anything. I've seen the rear take-up reel spin before when I didn't have anything attached, but I did not get that error—I think I had about 5-6' left though too.

unclebun

You cannot turn off the roll backtension check. If you have a short piece of material to print, you have to tape it to the end of a roll of something the same size (kind of like when you get a roll of cut vinyl that has been spliced)

scrubz

I have done the taping trick, and it works but is a pain, just thought I'd check with the mob to see if anyone had found something I couldn't see. I do textile transfers mostly and the material cost is sick. I will just have to bump the price a penny or two. Thanks for your input

Artist Amigos

I have also tried to print sheets and it is a big pain. Printing a sheet is almost the same as a roll and since you have to tape it to the back tension check anyway, the only difference for me is about 2 extra feet before the sensor in the back says Im out of material, but in reality I still have 2 feet left. I may just cover the back sensor with a piece of tape to see if I can get more out of the material so theres not so much waste.

unclebun

Take your sheet material and tape it to the beginning of a roll of material the same width.

If you are at the end of a roll and need to print into the 2' of material still attached to the roll, pause the printer and detach the material from the roll core. Keep a hand on the supply roll as it continues to print so that you advance it when it advances and apply back tension when it gets done.

Thesignguysink

What I do is trick the printer into thinking it has a full roll on it. I load a roll of Magnetic material on the back bus leave it completely rolled up. I then put a piece of transfer tape over half of the sensor on the back side this causes the printer to think it has a full roll loaded. I then take my leaf/sheet and load it from the front and position it and run through thee normal printing process and it prints on the leaf only. This is because it feels the tension on the back and the sensor is covered halfway so it's thinking wooopie we have a full roll! Give it a try.