• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Issues

signmonkey

Hey folks:

I'm a newbie to the site, but it looks like a great resource.

We are having a strange issue with our Mimaki JV3 160SP. We are using Onyx software, and when we send a print out at the fast speed setting it halves the passes and only prints unidirectional. Up until this happened everything had been great with the printer for a few years.

Anybody ever see anything like this before?????:banghead:

GK

It really doesn't seem like its a problem. It seems like you are using a different profile. If you want to print fast, you have to sacrifice quality (in most cases depending on your printer) and if you want to print quality, you have to sacrifice speed.

signmonkey

I may have described the issue incorrectly in my first post.

When we set the printer to run at 4 pass bi directional, the output is actually running at 2 pass unidirectional. On other occasions it will start printing at the set passes and directions and then revert to a lower pass part way through the job.

I have contacted our tech support and they say it may be something that is causing the encoder to miss data.

Thanks for your replies and hello's

thewood

I would guess either a dirty encoder strip or communication issue between the RIP machine and printer. Are you running a firewire?

thewood

Yeah, we are running a fire wire cable.

How would one clean the encoder?? Just the ol' can of air??

Are you using the TI Firewire? I'm not a guru by any means, but the TI is pretty much the gold standard as I understand. I've heard of others having communication issues when using other chipsets.

As far as the encoder, you can use canned air and gently wipe the strip with a damp cleaning swab. Don't use solvent as it will damage the strip. I've heard of other using alcohol, but I'm too chicken to try that. I had some really strange issues (the printer would skip segments on the print randomly) that were fixed by gently cleaning my encoder strip.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress.

signmonkey

So here is what has happened in the last week or so. We Cannot print anything!!!!!!

I have been in touch with various tech people but no one has arrived at a solution yet.

I Have replaced the slider PCB and the encoder strip with no result.

Now they are saying it mst be the main board which runs about $5,000!!!