• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Avery adhesive vinyl with the L26500 (MPI2120, 2122...)

javagod

Manager
Hi all:

I've had the HP L26500 since September and over all I've been very happy. I use to print to Avery products and have a fair amount in inventory. I'd like to use it up but have had issues printing to it. I use Onyx X10.1, have used the profile for the L26500 from Avery. The ink is very blotched. Is anyone printing with Avery products on there Latex?

dypinc

I print on Avery products but don't think I have printed on those.

I always create my own color setups and profiles based on the material and needs of particular print jobs.

From some of the canned profile I have seen I am surprised that there are people out there trying to use them and you have two wonder what kind of quality they are getting with them. You would be much better off doing your own color setup and profiling instead of wasting time and materials play a guessing twicking game.

dypinc

I print on Avery MPI 2923 & 2903 EASY APPLY Film all the time.

What problems are you having?

javagod

Manager
Blotchiness and artifacts. A question to Dypinc. What program are you using to profile? I am using Postershop, with does a great job up to color profiling, which it does not support. I have MonacoPROFILER 4.8 but it throws my colors way out of range. Most of what I'm printing to (Britleline, HP Paper, Jetflex...) I have good luck with canned profiles on. It's not a big deal on the Avery, Just have a number of left over inventory, will use it for cut white. I plan on upgrading to Productionhouse when they go to X11.0.

dypinc

Blotchiness and artifacts sound more like ink limiting issue but it could be just incomparable media.

The two RIPs here that I can run the L25500 on are Colorgate and Fiery XF. Colorgate has better control of the light inks but that is about all I can say for it. The main RIP I use is the Fiery XF and now at version 5 it does a better job of controlling the inks. Even though v5 it has the same limited dialog for light inks it controls them much better. But color is just better with the Fiery XF and the spot colors are so right on that I very rarely have to input lab values to get correct spot colors. The other printers I run with the XF I can say the same thing about and version 5 now uses the Fiery Color Profiler Suite version 4 which does a great job and allows me to do a lot of adjustments the black curve of the media profile for the L25500. This is an additional benefit if I want to reduce peppering in the highlights. I also use i1Profiler as well as it give me a lot of control over profiles and I like it for profiling media for printer drivers, RGB drivers in the XF RIP and also the Digtial Press paper stock.

I have used and tested a lot of RIPs over the years including ONYX a few years ago (before I had a L25500) for our Gerber flatbed but I wasn't not anymore impressed with it than Flexi which we ran the Gerber with at that time. ONYX could have improved a lot since then. The only RIP that I would still like to really test out is Caldera. I have the trial but can't really test the whole CM process with the trial.

I have to admit I am just spoiled with the Fiery RIPs and there server/client setup where I can setup and print jobs with any computer here. I use the Fiery EX on our digital press.

Bly

Last couple of rolls of Avery easy apply have had blotchiness for the first metre or two from the start of the roll.
Then each time we start printing again, whether it's been left in the printer or stored.
I've sent samples of the wastage to our dealer but haven't heard back yet.

I'm thinking of switching brands if this keeps up.
The stuff is great to install but at the price it should print perfectly out of the box every time.

What alternatives are people using?
I know the high volume shops use 3M.
What would be their equivalent product?