• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on back of decal

Anastasi55

So, I have an interesting request... My marketing department wants stickers printed to go into online orders. This would be easy, EXCEPT, they want the peel off liner printed on the back with a QR code and promotional sale info.

Is this just a matter of keeping the sticker sheet precisely aligned so nothing is lost when cutting?

Anastasi55

That's a thought - as well as just printing Avery labels with the QR code and sticking them to the back. But, this is what the marketing director wants, so I'm doing my research...

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Did your Marketing Director just get out of school? QR codes...
That person is just swowing off what they learned in school that the company is not doing.
I think I have scanned two of them in the last five years just to see what they do. (Not Impressed) Simple web sites work fantastic.
Its Labor intensive to apply individual labels to the backs and they will stick to the top of the sticker below it if bundled or displayed in a stack.
You can line up the media on your printer so it prints on the back. (Side to Side and front starting point) just a little practice but it can be done.
Let us know what you end up doing.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You'll likely find it challenging to print to the liner, even the 3M watermark usually looks like crap on their media/laminate liners.

You haven't mentioned what kind of media/liner these would be printed on, and what type of printer/ink you would be using. UV would likely work fine, since it sits on top.

Would they be unique prints or all the same? What kind of quantities? Depending on those answers, you could look at a stamp or perhaps pad printing?

Depends how badly your marketing manager wants to see this idea through. It's not a simple/cheap undertaking.

jfiscus

Rap Master
At a printing company I once worked at we purchased a custom rubber stamp to stamp the (back) liner on decals with. Worked well enough.

Anastasi55

You'll likely find it challenging to print to the liner, even the 3M watermark usually looks like crap on their media/laminate liners.

You haven't mentioned what kind of media/liner these would be printed on, and what type of printer/ink you would be using. UV would likely work fine, since it sits on top.

Would they be unique prints or all the same? What kind of quantities? Depending on those answers, you could look at a stamp or perhaps pad printing?

Depends how badly your marketing manager wants to see this idea through. It's not a simple/cheap undertaking.
We'll be using the same General Formulations 220 that we've been using for bumper stickers, and we have an Epson that prints with solvent ink. The liner has a sheen to it - I could probably test some scraps and see if it goes through. I'd lay out the stickers in my usual sheet, and place the back information on it to coordinate with the layout.

I'm tempted to try a small sheet, but the alignment is intimidating - and we really couldn't hand out the rejects for other functions, so I'm not crazy about the amount of waste that would be generated in the testing process.