• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing on chrome

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Not saying it wont work but I tried it on our mimaki with Oracal cut vinyl 631/651 or something like that. It looks like its gonna work then a few seconds later it looks like oil on water. I didn't dig into it at all from there cuz it was small and I wasnt going to waste my time. I think thermal printing is how it is usually done on a smaller scale?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We use our UV to print onto (R-tape/Nekoosa) chrome then laminate with optically clear. Works perfectly and can even cut through the bleed without curling.
Haven't tried with our Epson ecosol as we haven't had an order for a while, but our old Roland would *always* curl if cutting through bleed no matter how long it sat to dry... even 3 months wasn't enough.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have printed solvent onto Avery Chrome Wrap (remove the protective film obviously) and it looked good. We also print on other chrome specialty vinyls with our Edge.

tulsagraphics

Yes, you can print on chrome film with Eco-Solvent (probably UV and latex too, but I only have Eco). It's been a while, but I remember going through 3 or 4 brands/series til I found one that worked well (and labeled as "printable") -- ended up being the really pricey stuff. It was probably the Avery mentioned by jfiscus. Also worth mentioning that it does a number on your plotter blade (I also use a Summa), so it's a good idea to build in blade replacement costs into your work. Weeding can be a pain, so you gotta dial in that blade pressure and make adjustments more frequently.

vondegroot

Have done many prints on cheap chrome with ecosol printer. You just gotta allow ample drying time, and be careful with it after it comes off the printer.