• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on frosting....

Hello! How does everyone print on frosting? We print on clear and then 'laminate' that with the frosting, but is there a better less costly way?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
assuming you are referring to frosted or dusted vinyl (and not the sweet confection on a cupcake)... there are dusted vinyl's you can print on directly with eco solvent printers.
We used to use Mac Tac, but currently we use GF Print-N-Privacy, 3 mil light glass etch polymeric vinyl.

Hello! How does everyone print on frosting? We print on clear and then 'laminate' that with the frosting, but is there a better less costly way?
Agree with Boudica, almost all frosted vinyl-based films can be successfully direct printed with eco-solvent. These same films are also printable with UV inks and HP Latex; the latter two can also print to many non-vinyl films such as polypropylene and PET translucent and transparent window films.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
We print on the General Formulations Print-n-Privacy as well with both Eco-Solv and UV with great results.

CanuckSigns

I haven't found a frosted vinyl that I can't print on with our eco solvent printers.

Also, if your client is looking for a budget option for frosting, matte laminate works well and allows more light in, but still blurs everything like frosted film does.

tulsagraphics

Arlon, Avery, 3M, MACtac and GF. I've printed on those plenty of times over the years (previously with my Mutoh, and these days with my S80). No problems at all.

Boudica

I haven't found a frosted vinyl that I can't print on with our eco solvent printers.

Also, if your client is looking for a budget option for frosting, matte laminate works well and allows more light in, but still blurs everything like frosted film does.
A matte laminate would be more difficult for installation though, not air egress.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Agree with Boudica, almost all frosted vinyl-based films can be successfully direct printed with eco-solvent. These same films are also printable with UV inks and HP Latex; the latter two can also print to many non-vinyl films such as polypropylene and PET translucent and transparent window films.
Sorry for side question, but can eco-solvent (thinking s80600) Not print onto pp and pet media?

CanuckSigns

A matte laminate would be more difficult for installation though, not air egress.
I don;t use the air egress frosting films, whatever time you save on the install you loose having to reassure the client that the air egress line will eventually disapear, in a few months.

Boudica

Where did the OP go? maybe they were talking about frosting. Now I want cake!

unclebun

Well, there's this kind of printing on frosting
20171024_170653.jpg

And there's 3D printing the frosting.

a-mesmerizing-take-on-pastry-making-pinimgcom-190329.jpg

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
That makes sense - I have some that I print aqueous - exploring options that will allow me to offer non-vinyl and/or un-laminated products.