• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Printing on magnetic roll

kbrys

Has anyone tried printing on a roll of magnetic material in a Mimaki UCJV300-160? It appears only the back plate will cause an issue that I could cover with a thin PVC sheet.

Thanks
Kerry

flyplainsdrifta

I use 030 styrene taped down on all sides to cover the pre heat platen on my roland. works like a charm. you just want to be CERTAIN you have it down really well. the last thing you want is to have that thing suck into the pinch rollers and into the carriage path. cause that is a good time for no-one.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Has anyone tried printing on a roll of magnetic material in a Mimaki UCJV300-160? It appears only the back plate will cause an issue that I could cover with a thin PVC sheet.

Thanks
Kerry

If you get a head strike on vinyl, the vinyl usually bunches up and the head stops when it senses this. You run a cleaning cycle to recover the nozzles and then keep on printing.

If you get a head strike on magnet, all of the force goes into the head because the magnet doesn't budge and is much more rigid. This breaks the head and those heads cost about $4000 each.

clarizeyale

different printer but I made a little thing for this issue once I saw this video.

we print magnets on the flatbed now....

Darryn

Thanks
Kerry
On my Roland I just attached self-adhesive velcro (fuzzy size only) to a strip of magnet and placed that on the backplate. Keeps the magnet from getting too close and it works quite well. I attached it to magnet so that I could easily remove if needed but have had it there for a couple of years.

Scott Sneddon

On my Roland I just attached self-adhesive velcro (fuzzy size only) to a strip of magnet and placed that on the backplate. Keeps the magnet from getting too close and it works quite well. I attached it to magnet so that I could easily remove if needed but have had it there for a couple of years.
Brilliant