• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Magnetic w/ 1614

AceSignsOnline

Anyone running a Mutoh 1614 that has successfully printed directly onto magnetic material?

I have had little success with this. I did manage to "trick" the media sensor by covering it with masking tape (since it wouldn't recognize that there was media loaded due to the dark backing of the magnet material), but the printed result was very blurry and completely unacceptable.

At this point, I'm thinking that it would be best just to keep applying vinyl onto the magnetic, but thought I would see if there were others doing this successfully.

TIA!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Although it is tempting to run print directly to magnetic, I never recommend that my customers do it. If you get a head strike on vinyl you can do a cleaning and unclog any nozzles that may have been affected. If you head strike on magnet, you have much more of a chance of damaging the $2000 plus head. Mutoh recommends the same when it comes to magnet.

BobCap

I used to print to magnetic material all the time when I had a Mutoh Rockhopper 38....Then I upgraded to a VJ1304. Most things print great. Better color, faster etc. But absolutely no magnetic material going through that machine. I had a couple of options...Print on adhesive vinyl and apply to mag material...Print on non magnetized material the use a magnetizer. Hmmm....but the hand magnetizer starts around $500. That's a lotta fridge magnets...then I found an answer. They make magnetic material with no printable coating. So I just print on 3640 and stick it to the magnetic sheeting. Done.