• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Mesh Banner Material

Stormyj

Just another guy
Hi all,
Want some opinions and learned lessons. Ive got a customer what wants banners made from mesh material. Found the material, comes with backing. My questions are,
How did you like printing on mesh?
Did you run into problems with mesh coming off of backing material, thus causing head strikes or whatever?
Any other problems or concerns I should be worried about or watch for.

Thanks all.

guitarguy69

If there is going to be an issue with the backer coming off during printing, you will be able to tell before you start printing. I always do a "backer" check before printing just to see how well it is attached. I also find that if you string up a leader to the take up, there will be a lot less issues that can occur.
One problem I've had in the past is the backer "not" coming off. Then lots of time picking it off with heat assistance, (hair drier).

Tip: If using a take up roll, string material up to it before running the print. Put a piece of tape on the backer of the lead with an inch or so of the adhesive exposed facing you, then put a longer piece of tape on the print side to adhere to the take up. Can't tell you how many times the tape has come loose from the front of the roll while the print first starts up, and that's no fun.

DougWestwood

Mesh is awesome

Hi There,

I print on mesh all the time.

A) always get the mesh with the backer on it. They sell it without, and it's a mess.
B) I have found you can avoid backer melting onto the mesh if you keep it at approx 40C.
This is tried and true here on our machine.We have an HP Scitex XL1500, 16-foot wide.
C) mesh hides any streaking very well. Won't solve all problems, but it is MUCH more forgiving than regular banner.
D) mesh comes with different sized holes, coarse to fine. Have not noticed any print advantages
either way on any of the different mesh. Holes only deal with wind in site, not printing.
E) have never experienced the backer coming off prematurely. Only when pulled.

Rock On!
- Doug
Vancouver

DougWestwood

backless mesh

"A) always get the mesh with the backer on it. They sell it without, and it's a mess."

Well, of course, the moment I write that, we get a roll of backless mesh.
Amazing all of us in the print dept., the ink did NOT cause a mess on the back,
and did NOT mess up the print. I'm about to print another one this morning.

We have a Scitex XL1500, with the rug stripes as sponges behind the material.
It's in my profile photo. Your machine may have the problem we avoided.

Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver