• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Mirror Finish Metal

cwb143

I have someone wanting me to print on metal. Its has a
mirror finish. They brought me a sample that someone else
has printed. But thought if you printed on metal that shiny the UV light would bounce back and cure the ink in the heads. Is that true? and or is it ok to print on mirror finished metal. Im using a flatbed printer obviously. and help would be appreciated.

CWB

sowinski_t

At my previous shop I succesfully printed on chrome and an actual mirror with no problem. I don't think the UV portion of the light gets reflected back. This was on an Oce Arizona 250 btw.

sowinski_t

come to think of it, 2 months we did a job which was floorplans outup onto stainless steel (brushed) and we did it by printing with our solvent onto 3M 8519 (vehicle wrap lam), letting it offgas and then laminating with same. Mounted it wet, and it looks great.

cwb143

I could but thats not what they want. I can screen print it. But their asking if I can digitally print it directly with UV sericol inks.

cwb143

Ok thanks Sowinski. Maybe it was printing to an actual mirror that was a problem. I can't remember.

cwb143

Ok I've been told by others as well that I can print on mirrors and bright shiny metals same as what you guys say. So maybe it was reflective material that I was thinking of. anyway Im good thanks for the responses.

ellsmako

A good rule is to wipe the heads after printing so anything that may have started to cure gets wiped off. You do not get a hard cure and full effect cure is about 12-24 hours for most uv ink. ( uv is dry and sticks but need a little time to harden )

I would worry if there was a lot to print or your material is buckling.
Have printed on almost everything and the hard metal stuff is what is dangerous, Balance the risk with the pay off, Heads are not cheap

cwb143

Thanks for the curing info. We thought about the quantity issue since we mainly print by volume. I'll definitely proceed with caution. thanks again.

johnnysigns

Guys your lamps are on either ends of your print head carriage, not right next to your nozzle outlets. We print on reflectable stuff here occasionally (mirror, chrome finished stuff, glass, acrylics) and have never had an issue, nor would I expect one.

cwb143

I see your point and that makes sense. I probably just got some wrong info somewhere. Thanks a lot.

ellsmako

Print on three types of Vuteks Pressvu QS GS and the Accuity and the lamps do reflect back and onto the heads, Just check out the service notices to see that it may be a factor, better to be aware then really really sorry,.. If you have not had the effect then Great for you.