• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing on static cling

Mailmom

After reading on this site for several days I would like to ask a few questions. I am considering purchasing a printer/cutter and would use it primarily for static cling. About 90% of use would be static cling, actually. Only about 300-500 sq ft a month.. mostly small designs and stickers 1" x 1" and contour cuts. But need to be able to print and cut some pieces 24" X 17". I have concerns about heat, etc and how it effects static cling and also how well the ink adheres with different printers. Thank you for your time and expert advise.

PGSigns

Not sure about the inkjets but my DC4SX prints great on static cling and like any Summa the cuts are spot on. It may be something to look into. Summa will send you samples.
Jimmy

Jackpine

I agree with Jimmy. I printed with a thermal resin printer,a Roland Colorcamm 600, on static and it performed well.The prints were very durable. On my solvent ink jet, the quaility ison static cling ok, but not as durable. Either print form will work.

petepaz

we use the gerber edge and roland sp-300v both with good results on the static solvent not good on the clear static the inks are not opaque enough
so if you have to do a lot on clear go with the thermal printer (gerber edge)
when we do the solvent clear we have to laminate white vinyl to the back

Mailmom

Thanks for the great responses. I was looking at ink, etc prices and there is a BIG difference in the Summa and Roland... am I not getting the big picture here?
:thankyou: Also, one of the problems with the prints I am getting now is too much black.. so the prints are too globby looking instead of sharp. I am not sure what printer the guy is using... but he says that the static cling is too hard to print on. Says it is wavy going thru and it is too sticky and makes little pops as it goes thru the roller? Anyone have any suggestions on what is up with that?

PGSigns

Well at 300 to 500 square feet a month you are doing enough to support your own printer and control the quality yourself. If the project is not long term enough to justify geting a printer, I would be more than happy to run them on mine.
Jimmy

Mailmom

Thank for the offer, but I think I am ready to strike out on my own. The information here is great. Thanks so much to everyone! I'll let you know how it goes.. I am sure there will be many more questions .......and frustation!:thankyou:

WVB

I am not sure what the big difference is between the Roland and Summa. Last I checked the pricing was the same 54" versuses 54" Both are 19,995...?

Chad.

Just this past week, i printed roughly 500Sq Ft on Solvex Static Cling (White) with my 54in Versa Camm. I used the standard glossy cal vinyl profile and had wonderful results. I could not use the media clips as they cause the material to bind up. I also had to pre feed about 12inches and establish a basepoint before starting to print, or the material would buckle in the middle and come to close for comfort to a headstrike. I also had to use all the pinch rollers or the material would strech on the ends and jam.

Craig Sjoquist

I find ths interesting, and would like to have someone print on staic cling... looking to see what works best ....printer, inks, and other situations to deal with... so when I've sold and created design, what to look for ...orlando florida here ....thank you n enjoy life