• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing problem - "Halo" around letters

GoodPeopleFlags

I printed some signs the other day and the lettering looks like there's a yellow/orange-y "halo" or "haze" or "aura" around it. The pic below is out of focus but the letters are only about 1" tall so it was hard to get a good pic. I think you can still tell what I'm talking about.

The letters are black and the sign was designed in CorelDraw 12. The color value in Corel is 100% black and nothing else. Looks great in Corel. I saved it to .eps and opened it in ColorRip. Under the INFO tab, when I put the cursor on the letters, it's says this:

Input Vector CYMK: 0% 0% 0% 67%
Output CYMK: 18% 31% 13% 0%

Anybody have any idea why the "halo" is there and how to get rid of it?

Attachments

• zoocolorpic.jpg
    zoocolorpic.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 287

GoodPeopleFlags

It's a Roland SolJet Pro II 540

We seem to think that it's not the actual printer that's causing it but something that's happening when I bring the file to ColorRip. But I've only been using the printer for almost a year so I really have no idea. Whatcha think?

Letterbox Mike

Pictures kinda' fuzzy (at least I think it is unless that's actually how it's printing), but it looks like either the bidirectional calibration is way off or you may have some nozzles deflecting. Just had a similar problem on our JV3 and the bidir cal fixed it.

Is the halo equal all the way around the letters or is it worse on two sides that are opposite each other?

Have you tried printing other files to see if they all do this or is this isolated to just this file?

GoodPeopleFlags

Yeah, I don't think the pic really shows what's going on. The letters print crisp and clear and black, like they should. But then there's also this yellow-y/orange-y around the letters. It's very thin and faint but definitely there and equal all the way around. This isn't the only job it's happened with but it's more obvious on this one. I thought before that it was possibly a normal thing but I don't think so now.

GoodPeopleFlags

The nozzle test looks good. I'm not sure about your second question.

The strange thing to me is that the color value in Corel is 100% black, nothing else. Then in ColorRip it says that the color values are something different. I'm sure it's "operator error" somewhere, just not sure what I'm doing wrong.