• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing two sided banners-need help

looking for suggestions on printing second side of banner, 1st side prints great, let dry, line up next side and it NEVER comes out right...head strikes, a little bit off, like a 3/8 off on the sides...and "end media" error if other side is black. Any suggestions? We have Mutoh Valuejet 1608...:banghead:

TheSnowman

I always sub my two sided. I wouldn't have done enough of them yet to justify throwing it all away that would have gone wrong.

HaroldDesign

Put a piece of white tape over the media sensor (middle of the bed behind pinch rollers).
Account for being on center by adjusting left/right offsets at the rip. I run a 1604 through Onyx - maybe this helps.

petepaz

sorry the best i can tell you is if we have to do 2 sided we print 2 and sew together
(we don't get a big call for that )

Ken1f

Put a piece of white tape over the media sensor (middle of the bed behind pinch rollers).
Account for being on center by adjusting left/right offsets at the rip. I run a 1604 through Onyx - maybe this helps.

Yes, I know this is an older thread but it sure helped out today. I have printed a few 2 sided banners with my mutoh before but today I kept comming up with the out of media error. It must be a color issue as the part of the first side image that passes over the sensor was solid black. I tried everything I could think of first then found this thread, taped over the sensor and printed the banners without any problem.....thanks.

signpro

Manager
i turn the vacuum power on STRONG for the 2nd side, and haven't had many issues at all.. just make sure the graphic orientation is correct, or you'll have an upside down banner! oops.

James605

If they are 2' or so i heard a guy (i forget who) print 2 of them side by side. then fold in the middle and sew together on the other 3 edges...Nice trick. worked well for me last week.

Graphics2u

Oh, as for head strikes turn your heat settings way down when doing double sided.
Ditto on heat settings. First side can be done with usual heat settings but for some reason I have to turn my heat way down on second side or it causes all kinds of problems. You need to really figure out your margins to get them aligned good (just keep testing). Always try to besign them with plenty of bleed area so if tyour off a little it's not a big deal.

msenjur

looking for suggestions on printing second side of banner, 1st side prints great, let dry, line up next side and it NEVER comes out right...head strikes, a little bit off, like a 3/8 off on the sides...and "end media" error if other side is black. Any suggestions? We have Mutoh Valuejet 1608...:banghead:

hello!

i was also have big problems with printing two sided banners. But i get contacted with some other user of this forum, and he gave me some very good advises...

The bigest mistake i (you) was doing, was, that i cut off banner when first side was printed. And than i reroll it and put it back in. Off course it was never going straight again...

So by his advise i reroll it back to original roll (didn't cut it off), you have to be careful to reroll it straight (it is easy, just do it slow), and than turn roll around, so that now you are printing on in(er) side.

It is the best for you, that you turn all heaters off, becouse banner doesn't even need them so much...

In RIP you put file in the middle of page - material (first side and second). So when you print on other side, it is easy to get the right position.

And before starting printing on first AND second side, always turn off and back on, the printer, so that it always starts from same position!

if material is thin, and if colors aren't dry enough, you can tape some paper sheet on front heater over the whole width, becouse color slip nicely on paper than on metal...

This advises work for me - i did 3m banner with absolutelly no problem! First side goes 2mm out of way, second none!

and don't forget to turn file 90 CCW, and you can print a little bigger file (cca. 5cm, but only width!!! non-proportionally) on second side, so you won't get white space, if it myght get little out of the way! :thumb:

Thanks to Blaz.:thankyou::beer

imagep

hello!

The bigest mistake i (you) was doing, was, that i cut off banner when first side was printed. And than i reroll it and put it back in. Off course it was never going straight again...

So by his advise i reroll it back to original roll (didn't cut it off), you have to be careful to reroll it straight (it is easy, just do it slow), and than turn roll around, so that now you are printing on in(er) side.

Thats EXACTLY how we do it also. We end up within a 1/4 inch every time (usually closer).

msenjur

im just printing 5m banner, already print one side, and it didn go ouf of way, not even a little bit! now printing on other side, and 70% printed, and it is still going straight as hell!

msenjur

hello...

i would like to know, how to get price for two side banner? Becouse you cannt charge 2x banners...

so what is your formula?

signmeup

Charge for the banner plus the price of the banner minus the substrate plus the extra time needed to flip the material.

msenjur

hm... sorry, but i dont understand the post very well...

Lets say i have price hm... 10€/m2, what would be the price for 5000x1000 two sides...

B Snyder

sorry the best i can tell you is if we have to do 2 sided we print 2 and sew together
(we don't get a big call for that )

+1

Sometimes sewing together isn't even necessary. When offered, most of my clients like the idea of having 2 separate banners. It gives them more options.

I can't imagine having to fuss with trying to get the second side perfectly aligned to the first.