• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing White & Layers - Epson Sure Color S70675

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
Hello,

Been around the site a long time, lurking mostly.

I've been printing for about a solid year now, and I've been having a hell of a time with getting my white ink to print correctly.

The epson does white in layers. C(olor)W(hite)C or CW or WC, depending on how you want your layers.

Using the high pressure rollers, I don't seem to have any problem actually getting the inks to lay down, I just can't for the life of me get them to line up correctly. (So the white bleeds out where it's not supposed to be).

Because they don't line up correctly, even if I just wanted to print and cut white stickers - the ink isn't in the same place that the cut line thinks it is, so the cutlines are always off.

My predecessor spent a long time figuring it out, and he finally got it. But even using his files and the same materials (with no major changes to the printer or otherwise) I can't reproduce what he did.

Has anyone had this issue? With this printer? What'd you do to fix it?

Thanks!

unclebun

We've had an S70670 since they first came out and have never had any trouble with the white and colors being in registration. We didn't have to do anything to make it be in registration. I'm guessing the trouble is not in your printer but in the RIP.

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
We've had an S70670 since they first came out and have never had any trouble with the white and colors being in registration. We didn't have to do anything to make it be in registration. I'm guessing the trouble is not in your printer but in the RIP.

That would make sense... My initial thoughts were that the files were not set up correctly. Beyond setting up the spot color as white, I haven't really "done" anything extra to the artwork. The person I replaced had managed to pull it off with seemingly no problem with the current setup. I hope that's not the issue...

With mine, when I found the white to be off or out of alignment, I would redo the feed calibration and that usually fixed it. Sometimes I would recheck the head alignments too at the same time.

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a shot. Specifically the feed - I've not done that since I started. Wonder if that would also cause the sizing irregularities I come across occasionally...?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Check the material feed calibration. That is what I'm betting is the issues if it is doing it in separate passes (printing one pass white, then feeding it back in then printing the color inks).

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
By chance, does anyone have a formatted EPS file setup to do a multi-layer print?

Something small would be ideal.

I've done the feed calibration, it was off by less than a 10th of a MM, and that might just be my human error reading the calibration strip.

This is really a thorn in my side not being able to precisely layer prints... Onyx RIP queue that I'm using isn't much help. There just aren't many settings in the version I'm using I guess.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

ProColorGraphics

When I do mine, setup in Illy, I have the white layer on top and make sure to set overprint fill, then I actually will do a negative path offset of a very small amount. Then if it is off slightly, it still doesn't show. ;)

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
So I got this figured out - turns out the person who set up the printer and profiles was a little over zealous on the tension setting and had it up to like 17. I've adjusted the tension to 3 or 4, upped the suction to 9, and re-ran the auto adjust function.