• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PrismJET EXtra C series

SignRover

Looks like it's made by Mutoh. They certainly use Mutoh inks. The 36" Mutoh Junior is exactly the same price.

Looks like a duck. Walks like a duck....

I'd buy the Mutoh and go to sleep knowing I can get parts and tech support.

Steve C.

I may be wrong, but I think the Mutoh Jr. has a separate cutter and this one is a printer and cutter. Anyone with more info? Seems that maybe having a separate cutter would be best, unless you have limited space.

Steve C.

Steve C.

Signwarehose tells me that this is the Mutoh Jr. with a different sticker on it. Parts, tech support and all else is the same. We are planning a trip to Signwarehouse, they are about 100 miles north of us, to see the machine in action. Has anyone had any experience with this printer or see any reason why we should beware?

Steve C.

ChiknNutz

But if it's a printer/cutter, then it must be a bit different than the Mutoh Jr. seeing as how that is a printer only with a separate cutter. I, too, would be quite interested in how these compare. Cool thing is they offer it in different sizes, too. Seems like the Mutoh ink is a bit better than the Roland, based on what I've read so far.

Steve C.

I was wrong about it being a printer/cutter. It IS a Mutoh Jr. the cutter is seperate and comes packaged with the printer if you want it. Uses Mutoh inks. I'm not sure I can fit a printer and another cutter in my shop.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
GraphiXtreme said:
I just looked it up on SW and it says it has "precise contour cutting" but it is a separate cutter then?
Virtually everyone agrees .... including most of the folks at Roland .... getting your printer and cutter in one combo is a mistake. Besides, the Roland built-in cutter is about 1/4 the cut speed of most other plotters available.

Steve C.

When I called Mutoh for a dealer in my area they recomended Signwarehouse. When I told them that they sold it as PrismJet Extra, they assured me that it is their machine.
They ship them to SW without a lable and SW puts their own lable on it. They stand behind them with the same parts, warenties, etc. To get it bundled with a Graphtec you will have to find a dealer that sells both since Graphtec is not a Mutoh cutter.
What is OPOS ?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
OPOS is Optical Positioning System. This is the optical system that will go out and find the black squares at each corner of your print and position and position it in your plotter. Even the Versacamm has this feature so you can remove the print for laminating and reinsert it. It's about a $600 to $800 option on various plotters these days. Some will sell you a kit to upgrade but most require or prefer that it be factory installed.

Check the last package down at Sign Supply of Kentucky. It's for a Mutoh Jr. with Graphtec FC5100 56 ips 30" plotter for $12,895 plus shipping. That's $1100 less than the Versacamm! The Jr. accepts up to 36" media (great for banners) but isn't going to be practical for vinyl over 30".

http://www.ssky.com/Falcon_Outdoor_Junior_Packages.asp

kgla

i heard that the PrismJet, being an OEM printer from Mutoh, is only supported by signwarehouse. anyone know if this is true or not ??

Mikey

Just bought a Mutoh Outdoor Falcon JR about 3 weeks ago. Just started loving it 3 days ago. SW told me it would print on any uncoated media, that was not my experience. After I found the right media, prints like a dream, and doesen't tie up my plotter. Just found a new best friend!

bthomason

We are looking at buying the prismjet system. Is it worth it or should we keep looking. We are just getting started in the wide format printing side of making signs and graphics.

Steve C.

I really like my printer, but shop around to see what fits you. I see you are in Texas, The Fort Worth Sign Show is comming up in May, so that would be the perfect oppertunity to do some shopping. When I get ready to buy another printer, I'm just not sure if I will stay with Mutoh.

EndlessOptions

My printer is the falcon outdoor 46" and I love it. I paired it with the Graphtec with opus I just need to get a bigger Graphtec, but most of the contour cutting I need to do I can do with 30" vinyl, So for now I am OK.

Mutoh and their service company told me that the Falcon Outdoor the Gerber Jetster and the PrizmJet Extra are all the same printer the label is the only difference. The parts are the same.

EndlessOptions

Mikey said:
Just bought a Mutoh Outdoor Falcon JR about 3 weeks ago. Just started loving it 3 days ago. SW told me it would print on any uncoated media, that was not my experience. After I found the right media, prints like a dream, and doesen't tie up my plotter. Just found a new best friend!

What media did you try and what is working for you now. I didn't like the Oracal but I really like the concept 203 that Fellers sells, Grimco has it called Briteline but the part numbers are the same, and Grimco slits it for me.

I am interested in what you found that works for you.

Jackpine

I own a PrintTech 36. Bought it from SSK with a Graphtec cutter. I could not be happier. They have very good bundle priced and the BEST tech support I have found. The PrintTech IS a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 36 with their label. The printer SW sell PrismJet is a mutoh also but I'm sure they can't support it like SSK does.