• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Probably a stupid question

abadsvt

I know this is probably a stupid question but i can't find the info anywhere. Is Eco-solvent ink acid free? I have been printing on canvas a lot lately and was reading on how the acid inks will deteriorate the canvas over time. I know the canvas is acid free but wanted to verify the ink is as well. My fingers are crossed! LOL

Josh

abadsvt

I looked a both links and i either missed it or i didn't understand what it said. Probably the second thing! LOL. So will the eco solvent ink eventually deteriorate the canvas?

Josh

artbot

the question was, is the ink acidic? i figure you should test it yourself. i seriously doubt it is for certain reasons. mainly because it would corrode the metal parts of the head causing head failure. the links were so that you could see the main ingredients. if the discussion is will this ink be qualified as archival, i've looked all over. no data, no hellmuth testing, nada. these inks will probably fade before canvas degrades with or without the acid. you can do fine art with them but don't guarantee the work from ever fading. i've got a $30,000 piece that i am working on and the whole issue is giving me the willies. some of these pieces will be in buildings way after i die. we need more archival testing on solvent ink... at present, i've not seen any.

Fatboy

I seriously doubt that the ink will deteriorate the canvass, ever.Remember, how long will the canvass be out anyway? Unless for a specific application I don't see any problems you should worry about.

A man goes into a hardware store and brings a bottle of drainer opener to young teen age clerk and asks if it will dissolve his plastic pipes clerk says no. The man said how can you be sure without looking at the label, the clerk says plastic bottle.

mark in tx

Eco-Sol inks are not "archival".

There are some inks in the water base world that claim long term use, and are better suited for high end art applications, but I think the term archival is more a marketing fancy from the substrate manufacturers.

Rooster

For a true Giclée reproduction you need to use 100% cotton PH neutral canvas.

Even eco-sols will eat the cotton eventually, so every canvas made for solvent printers is a cotton poly blend.

If you're doing a lot of canvas work the hot printers for that market are the 12 color canons and HP Z series. The epson aqueous printers still do a fine job as well, like the 9900's.

That said, there's plenty of people out there selling canvas prints with eco-sol inks. I wouldn't let it hold you back unless you're selling them as investment grade limited editions.

abadsvt

Thanks everyone! I know that aqueous inks are the best for canvas printing but i only have an eco-solvent printer (roland vp-540). I plan on buying one so that was great info on the best printers for these type of prints once i get enough money. My new business plan is to save up $ then buy not finance things so it might be a year or so before i can buy a new printer. Im not doing high end prints. Mainly people wanting there photos on canvas type of stuff. I was just trying to do my homework before i get blindsided by a customer who nows to much plus i like to offer quality products so knowledge is reasuring to me. Thanks again everyone!

Josh