• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

problem opening .eps file

KPC

Using the link:

http://pages.ebay.com/storefronts/brand/download.html

I extracted the vector .eps file and double clicked on the file. It causes CorelDRAW 12 to open up, but it doesn't show anything on the screen.

So I then tried importing the .eps file directly to the printer using the Roland RCC software and it works just fine this way.

Does anyone know why it isn't working properly with CorelDRAW 12?

Thanks in advance.

Checkers

I can't get the link to work.
What filter are you using to import the file? You may need to use the PS filter or, perhaps the file is too new for corel 12.

Checkers

KPC

when you say filter, do you mean after I open corel, and click open, it pops up a screen where I find the file that I want to open.

On this screen, there is a drop down menu which filters out the various file extensions.

When it comes to opening the .eps file, I have tried both:

PS, PRN, EPS - PostScript Interpreted

&

All File Formats

Either of the two will show the .eps file but after I click on the file and click the open button, it doesn't show the actual .eps file on the screen.

It just shows a blank white box.

Checkers

Try creating a new file, then importing it using the PS, PRN, EPS filter. It worked for me.

Checkers

KPC

Thank you Kindly!

The import function while the program was already up and running, caused everything to work perfectly.

Thanks again!

KPC

Actually, now that I have it open, I found another question.

When I select the object and select the outline tool, it outlines the entire letters, including the portions that overlap.

If I were to print and cut this, it would have cut lines running through the letters where they over lap.

How do I tell the program to just outline around the outside of all letters and inside of letters like e, B, a, in the word eBay, and o, e for the work Stores

Ultimately, I need to print the colored eBay graphic on white vinyl and then cut around the outside so that the finished decal is cut showing none of the white vinyl.

Thanks again!

Select all the letters and go to Arrange>Weld. Then you can either apply your outline or use the contour tool. An outline is just what it says...an outline around the edge of the graphic. Half of it lies inside the edges of the graphic and half of it lies outside. A contour puts a solid background behind the graphic with just the edges showing...so it looks like an outline.

KPC

ok, I tried it and that would work great if the letters were going to be simply cut on standard 1 color vinyl.

But because I need to print the letters in color on white vinyl, when I weld the letters together, I lose the coloring.

So I guess what I want to accomplish is, printing in full color, but cutting an outline around the outside of the welded image.

how can this be done?

Also, in the past when I print & cut letters, there is sometimes a very small white area where the blade of the cutter doesn't cut perfectly along the edge of the colored letter and white vinyl.

I don't believe it is a problem with the machine, I just think that there isn't enough bleed to allow the knife to be cutting through full color all the time.

Although not pertaining to this exactly, but another example is somewhat on the lines of when you design business cards. You have to allow bleed for the knife or else it might chop off some of the letters if you run the letters right up to the edge.

In my case, the knife is sometimes only a few thousands of an inch off when cutting the outline of the printed letters. But it is just enough to where, lets say, if you print a red letter on white vinyl, and cut it out, and then apply the red letter on a blue substrate, you can in some areas where there will be a little bit of the white vinyl showing around the outside of the red letter, where the knife didn't cut exactly around just the red.

Sorry for being so wordy, but I really do appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Checkers

Hey KPC,
It isn't easily acomplished with a couple of mouse clicks in Corel but it can be done. you basically have to make two copies of the design.
One copy is welded and used as the cut line. The other copy is where you need to add an outline, contour or "bleed" to the letters. After they're outlined or a contour is applied you have to trim them to get the proper overlaps with the bleeds.
It will take a few minutes to get it right, but that will eliminate the problem of white showing when you contour cut it.

Checkers

KPC

I was able to get everything to turn out perfect albeit the method of getting the results within Corel were a little crude.

But none the less it worked great.

Thanks again! :thumb: