• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

problem with brushes in illustrator

Waylon

For a while, I've been trying to figure out how to make custom rope brushes in Illustrator to use for cut vinyl.
Because the points kind of overlap, I have to divide it in halves that will join in the middle once the brush is applied.

In the first picture, you see what I'm trying to get, but when I expand the brush to make paths, there is a very fine gap in the middle, as you can see in the second picture.
The third picture is what I'm using to create the brush.
The fourth is what the paths look like.

Since there is a gap, using the Pathfinder Add to Shape button won't actually make one object out of the two.
Is there anyway I can make a brush, expand it, then have something that can be cut from vinyl without going over each individual "link" in the rope to fix it?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 128

J Hill Designs

dont know illy that well, but can you render it at high resolution, rasterize and autotrace? or is there an offset brush setting that will bring them .001 inches closer?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Give the expanded rope graphic a tiny stroke, then expand, then pathfinder. hopefully it's enough to cover that tiny gap.