• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with Gerber Sprint

I have a Sprint and S/750 running on a Windows 98 pc (I have a Gerber A-B switch to switch back and forth). I use the machines only for cutting sandblast mask. Lately the Sprint won't cut a job. Sometimes it starts up right away when a job is submitted, sometimes it can take a long time before a job cuts, and sometimes it never cuts. I have removed the LMK card, waited awhile, reinstalled it, and the machine works. Other times it does not help. I disconnected the Sprint from the A-B switch and it seemed to work fine for a while, then the same problem came back. The Sprint seems to work fine--I'm guessing the problem is in the console. Anybody ever experience this problem?

On a side note, anyone have experience cutting sandblast mask on a Gerber GSX? Some of the designs have small details and I've always liked the accuracy of a tangential knife setup. Wondering how a drag knife would work.

Joe House

It's been too long since I've worked on a Sprint, so I can't help much there. If you're happy with it though, get a GS-15, not the GSx. The GS-15 is essentially the same plotter that's on the Sprint, with dial pressure instead of stacking weights. It will be very familiar to you.
If you want to try a swivel knife model, the Graphtec FC series does a good job with sandblast when you get the right blade and settings. Or Summa makes a tangential machine that is worth taking a look at.

Good Luck

JWitkowski

I have a Sprint and S/750 running on a Windows 98 pc (I have a Gerber A-B switch to switch back and forth). I use the machines only for cutting sandblast mask. Lately the Sprint won't cut a job. Sometimes it starts up right away when a job is submitted, sometimes it can take a long time before a job cuts, and sometimes it never cuts. I have removed the LMK card, waited awhile, reinstalled it, and the machine works. Other times it does not help. I disconnected the Sprint from the A-B switch and it seemed to work fine for a while, then the same problem came back. The Sprint seems to work fine--I'm guessing the problem is in the console. Anybody ever experience this problem?

On a side note, anyone have experience cutting sandblast mask on a Gerber GSX? Some of the designs have small details and I've always liked the accuracy of a tangential knife setup. Wondering how a drag knife would work.
Many years ago I was cutting some sandblast mask on my GSx. It worked well but I'm not sure how small the lettering might have been. Maybe an inch was the smallest I cut.