• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

problem with typing a font in corel12

sullosau

Ok so Im not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to coreldraw, but Ive used a font called sofachrme previously for my own stuff and for some reason I type with it now and it comes up on screen all bunched together and I cant get the letters apart? its sposed to be a ttf so Im not sure whats going on, can anyone advise here? Ive checked the manual but well yeah no luck there as Im not really sure what Im looking for?

Steve

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Uninstall the font and reinstall it. While you're in the Fonts folder, check for the total number of installed fonts. If it's more than three or four hundred, removed the ones you don't use.

signage

Corel 12 comes with a program called bitstream navigator of font handling. If you are using windows before XP you are limited to the number of fonts that can be installed. Also when using these font handling programs it makes it easier to manage your fonts.

jimdes

Check your version of sofachrome.ttf and make sure it is the Ray Larabie version released in 1999. If not, it is available at myfonts.com, read the user agreement on all fonts you use from My Fonts as not all are licensed for commercial use.

The problem you are experiencing is common among fonts that have been "creatively acquired" (less than legally) from the internet. Fonts that have been converted to TTF from another file format are the most likely candidates for this problem.

Do yourself a favor and do like Fred says, eliminate the fonts you don't need. Corel Draw will alert you when a font is not installed and will give you an opportunity to install the font permanently or temporarily. Use this feature to your advantage!

Also check out the utilities page at www.letterheadfonts.com for some great font utilities. Keep a copy of the "Font Folder Fixer" somewhere handy, It saved my butt about a year ago.

http://letterheadfonts.com/downloads/utilities.shtml

sullosau

Fred Weiss said:
Uninstall the font and reinstall it. While you're in the Fonts folder, check for the total number of installed fonts. If it's more than three or four hundred, removed the ones you don't use.

thanks Fred I had 509 installed

sullosau

Im still working on it Fred, I only woke up hour ago!, sunday morning here in Sydney!
Ill let you know, weird thou how it works in other apps ie word and photoshop?

I believe it is a bug in Corel 12, because I have heard 4 or 5 other people complain of this problem. I have a few fonts that came with 12 that do the same thing, so that rules out the "creatively acquired" theory. I have checked the Corel website a couple of times to see if they've come up with a fix for it, but nothing so far. If anyone knows of a patch or fix I'd be glad to hear of it.

jimdes

I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't buy software and fonts by any means, sorry if that came out wrong. It's just a problem I have run into myself in the past. I use Ray Larabie fonts myself.

sullosau

learned the hard way said:
I believe it is a bug in Corel 12, because I have heard 4 or 5 other people complain of this problem. I have a few fonts that came with 12 that do the same thing, so that rules out the "creatively acquired" theory. I have checked the Corel website a couple of times to see if they've come up with a fix for it, but nothing so far. If anyone knows of a patch or fix I'd be glad to hear of it.

and heres me thinking I was it was pilot error!

thank you!

sullosau

jimdes said:
I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't buy software and fonts by any means, sorry if that came out wrong. It's just a problem I have run into myself in the past. I use Ray Larabie fonts myself.

No thats okay Jim, you caught me on a day where I was about to go feral/postal on a client as Id done some design work for them sent a pdf and they used it somewhere else with no payment. And I did kinda think thats what yuo insinuated, but no harm done.
I have to work around that somehow, maybe charge for quote?
But back to topic, I figure that I am being a legitamate business that in school days where someone would give you adisk with stuff was what happened (i dont condone) but these days fines and risks involved just arent worth it, hence why I dont do the ripoff work like I see on ebay al the time. Personally if am more inclined to buy software that comes with fonts with the program otherwise I buy themm off places like myfonts etc.

Isnt quoting FUN.... not

Steve

You can still use the affected fonts...just type your text and go to Format Text and adjust the character spacing. It's an annoying extra step, but you can at least use the font.

sullosau

learned the hard way said:
You can still use the affected fonts...just type your text and go to Format Text and adjust the character spacing. It's an annoying extra step, but you can at least use the font.

still cant get thsi darn thing to work :((

reinstalled re downloaded the fonts and on a new pc too, I just hate using photoshop with test I love corel since I got off my bum and learnt to use it!

Type your text and pick the font you want. With the text selected, go to the top of the screen and click on "text" ...a drop-down will appear. In the drop-down click on "format text" ...when the box opens up click on the paragraph tab. There will be several boxes with % symbols...you want the one that says "character". Move the main text box over if necessary so you can see your text...then click on the up arrow in the character spacing box... the letters in your words will get further apart...just hold the up arrow until you like how it looks.

For perfect kerning, you may still have to break your text apart and manually nudge some letters a little...but I do that even on fonts that aren't acting up.

sullosau

OK I now admit my complete dumbness THANKS DUDE!

Its working now! just gotta fine tune it

All happy again at 5 am