• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

problems printing my first roll of Photo Tex

Dan Berg

Have a few questions for you Photo Tex printers that have this down to a science.
Printing on Epson 7900 and 9900.
Have the Photo Tex icc profile installed and active.
Printing my first small image 16" x 24" from Lightroom in Pro Photo RGB perceptual,mk ink,paper-Velvet Fine Art roll,1440,16 bit with color management off.
Disregarded the density/Color config and brightness settings suggested by Photo tex for this first print. Wanted to see how it would come out with the settings I normally use.
Pretty ugly. Looks like the ink was spit on the surface,a pretty poor out come other then the colors were fairly accurate.

Second print.
Photo tex icc profile,mk ink,perceptual rendering,paper-Velvet Fine Art Roll
To access the following(Color Config. and Brightness)I had to go to
Color Mode-Color Controls-Adobe RGB
Paper settings-Density -15
Color Config. Saturation -10
Brightness +15
Icc profile suggests 720 dpi but it is grayed out and I used 1440.

The ink spitting look still exists.
The colors were all over the place. Yellows were orange. Blues were magenta.

Anyone see any red flags.
I know a good bit about printing and color management but still need a good starting reference point for settings as media and ink is not cheap.
Thanks in advance.
Dan Berg

Last edited by a moderator:

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure you are using the Aqueous profile and not the Solvent profiles? They make Phototex for both printer types.

We use a Canon iPF8100 with the Phototex with great results. The setting we use was specific to the Canon. Try one of the built in profiles for something like Canvas or the like.

Dan Berg

Thanks Brian,
The profile says Epson 7900/9900 mk 720 which is not a solvent printer so I assumed it is the correct profile.
Where some of the confusion comes in is the color cofig. settings suggested by Photo Tex.
It just throws the entire color management settings out of wack and I just cannot see it printing correctly with those settings.
I will run another print side by side with a canvas profile and the PT profile.
Dan

Dan Berg

Brian,
I ran several more prints with the Lexjet Sunset Select Matte canvas profile and the results were 500% better.
None of these images had much black in them but I will leave that for my next test.
I printed without making theses settings but not sure how changing the brightness/density and saturation settings recommended by Photo Tex will improve things?

Dan Berg

Last edited by a moderator:

WestcoastSigns

We've always used an matte vinyl setting and never had any issues. Also chose high quality rather than standard for coverage so maybe more ink helps too.

Halfwaytree

Similar problems printing on PhotoTex with a 9880

Hi Dan,

Saw your problem from a year ago, where you were having trouble printing onto PhotoTex with your Epson - I am having what sounds like exactly the same issue.

Print is spattery, and looks like the black ink has been splodged onto the PhotoTex and run. I have changed profiles, settings etc, and the colours change but I can't get rid of the splattering effect.

I am using an Epson 9880 and the PhotoTex ICC profile set on 'Velvet Fine Art Paper'. I have tried the variations in colour density and the colour configuration that they recommend, but still the ink spatter effect.

Can you recall what you did to cure the problem, and what settings do you use now ? Many thanks

Andrew

Bly

Are you sure you got the aqueous and not the solvent version?

Hi Dan,

Saw your problem from a year ago, where you were having trouble printing onto PhotoTex with your Epson - I am having what sounds like exactly the same issue.

Print is spattery, and looks like the black ink has been splodged onto the PhotoTex and run. I have changed profiles, settings etc, and the colours change but I can't get rid of the splattering effect.

I am using an Epson 9880 and the PhotoTex ICC profile set on 'Velvet Fine Art Paper'. I have tried the variations in colour density and the colour configuration that they recommend, but still the ink spatter effect.

Can you recall what you did to cure the problem, and what settings do you use now ? Many thanks

Andrew

This all depends on if your running Matte or Photo Black and the rip. the best thing we can offer is to e-mail me and I will have a Epson GURU call you to help walk you through your settings. Also make sure the tape on the box is green to verify it is water-base coating. walterjr@phototexgroup.com

Jackpine

I print PhotoTex with a 7700 and use a synthetic matte adhesive profile from Epson and have excellent results. The 7700 is a 5 color, CMY matte black, photo black printer. Walter sent me profiles and I used them with good results. Velvet Fine Art Paper worked well also.
I love the product.

AJK

Phototex colour problems

Hi Dan,
I'm having the same issues with my Phototex printing. I'm using an Epson 9800 (matte black). I have downloaded the newest Phototex Profile and assigned it in Photoshop CS5. My greens are blue and oranges, pink. I have no idea how to correct. What did you do to solve your issue?
I'm a first time user of the product and not hugely knowledgable of colour profiling.

Thanks.
Alison.