• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with hats

Sticky Signs

Ok, So i've had my GeoKnight dc16 w/cap attachment for a couple months now. I've been playing around with it whenever I get a chance. I'm starting to get some pretty good results with t-shirts. I think I'm at a point where I can start selling them and feel good about it. My big problem right now is hats. I'm using c130 from the Authentic t-shirt co. I'm print/cutting on Jotto Maxim. The Jotto is pretty nice and so far I like it although I don't have much to compare it to. Here are the problems I'm getting:
- Press is leaving a mark on the material at the edges of the platen. I think the inner liner mesh like material at the front of the hat is melting.
- Crease marks getting ironed into the face of the hat. Once there their, I can't get them out.
- transfer material not adhearing properly in the areas of the creases.
- the top of the hat bill seems to melt a little if it touches the platen.

Obviously these problems are unacceptable for myself and my clients. How do I get over these hurdles? Is there something I'm missing or not doing properly? Any help is appreciated.

I've found some videos last night of a guy doing a demo of some presses and different types of hats. I've marked the points where he seems to have some of the same issues I'm having. Is this normal? Are people actually selling hats that look like this once they've been decorated? I'm not trying to knock this video - I'm just using it to demonstrate some of the same issues that I'm having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqHHyLM2thE&feature=related
5:50 - He clearly get a "hard line" pressed into the fabric at the top of the hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVXOStXEdYw&feature=related
3:50 - Another hard line formed into the hat. This time, you can actually see lines left behind from the edge of the backing.
4:58 - gets another press line in the fabric and quickly tries to hide it.
7:02 - gets a big wrinkle in the hat.