• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Problems with print heads drying up within a few days

Jim Hill

Both prints heads are less then a year old.

I admit I do not use the printer everyday. But now I start and print each day just to keep the heads working properly.

If I don't do this everyday the test prints show a lot of drop out.

I have checked the capping station to make sure it is sealing the heads and it looks fine.
The cap tops and dampers are all new and this printer has never used anything other then Roland Ink.

Today I clamped off the hoses under the cap tops and then used a syringe to add cleaning fluid into each cap top for 24 hours to try and unclog each head.

What would cause the heads to do this.

Jim

2ny

Both prints heads are less then a year old.

I admit I do not use the printer everyday. But now I start and print each day just to keep the heads working properly.

If I don't do this everyday the test prints show a lot of drop out.

I have checked the capping station to make sure it is sealing the heads and it looks fine.
The cap tops and dampers are all new and this printer has never used anything other then Roland Ink.

Today I clamped off the hoses under the cap tops and then used a syringe to add cleaning fluid into each cap top for 24 hours to try and unclog each head.

What would cause the heads to do this.

Jim

Wich printer/model is this exactly?
Do you have a picture of the test print/drop-outs?
You do not turn off the main power switch on the printer I assume, since the daily auto cleaning is dependant on this to be on.
We do not use our printers every day either, but have not had any problems because of that. We have both a SP-300 and a SG-540.

Best regards
Tony

CJ-NYC

Wich printer/model is this exactly?
Do you have a picture of the test print/drop-outs?
You do not turn off the main power switch on the printer I assume, since the daily auto cleaning is dependant on this to be on.
We do not use our printers every day either, but have not had any problems because of that. We have both a SP-300 and a SG-540.

Best regards
Tony

Checking that the main power remains on is great suggestion. If you have the printer plugged into an outlet that cuts power when you turn off the lights, for example, that would prevent the printer from performing auto-cleaning when idle. Also, check your environment. Is it very cold in the room where the printer is housed? Is the air very dry/humid? Those things matter more than you'd imagine. Any really extreme environment will give you problems.

Jim Hill

I finally think I have figured out the problem with the one head not working properly.

An after market cap top that was not sitting properly and making a tight seal with the head.

I replaced it with another after market cap tops and this one so far is working properly and I was able to draw the ink with a syringe right through the head on the first pull of the syringe.

One important thing to always remember when you have your syringe contacted to the hose for the cap top with the heads in place if you can pull the syringe more then once or twice without getting any ink starting to flow start looking for an air leak because when everything is connected correctly pulling the ink through is easy.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Jim

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's the nature of the beast. These machines are intended to be used often. The less you use it, the more it dries out. Technically you should be cleaning it manually every day but no one ever does. The more you keep the maintenance parts clean, the easier time they have sealing the heads and cleaning them. I have seen a single fiber from banner material causes a bad seal between the head and cap top.

Asuma01

I've noticed that print heads on the HP latex machines very rarely if ever dry out. That said latex has is own problems you have to deal with. There is never a "perfect" solution. Nice job troubleshooting and fixing your problem.

backwoodsgirl

Cap tops for sure, I ran into this just last year... the original captops lasted like 9 years! I didn't even know they were replaceable until I started having head dropout due to bad seal.

Bobas Kalobas

wow, I have to replace mine every 3 months or sometimes 2. And I only use Roland brand because all others give me grief. I hope you can keep the problem controlled. Have a great Thanksgiving!