• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Project board

Annette Asberg

Hi guys
Is there anyone that have a really good project board that you would like to share?
We are a small business and really need a project board that will work both for a Pree production and for our back office or two different boards.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
What software do you use to write up jobs and such? Is it customizable that you can project and update electronically on TV's around your shop?

De.signs Nanaimo

I use magnets and folders. I have a magnetic board with columns labelled design, proofing, printing, table, install etc. The 3" by 8" magnet has job name, description written in dry erase marker and a permanent vinyl number, corresponding to a numbered plastic folder containing all the paperwork, proofs etc. The magnet moves to whatever column for reference and the folder can move around the shop where needed, and resting in a file drawer or whatever when not in use, easily found in numbered order. I use leftover reflective vinyl on vehicle magnet, as it is already laminated and works fine for dry erase, I just use alcohol to clean it off.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Yes exactly what I'm looking for
I see a MAGNA VISUAL 36"x48" Magnetic Steel Planning Whiteboard, Aluminum Frame is priced over $300. It seems you might need 2. I'm not sure how you would easily keep the two synchronized.

Are you sure you can't use your software?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
We used to have a wall with those plastic file holders and put vinyl on them. Each job was in a plastic jacket. If I remember right, we had one for Waiting for Approval, Router, Printer, Cutter, Outsourcing, Handwork, Installation, Invoice, Ready for Pick-up. Once a job was approved, working copies went to each process. If the job required routed parts, cut vinyl, digital prints, a copy was given to each operator with a due date and verbal instructions. The copies stayed with the parts produced by each process and came together for assembly (we called this handwork). As the production manager, I moved the original on the job board to the process that I estimated would take the longest. Some jobs only had one process and they would reside in that folder until they moved on. The originals on the job board never left the job board until they went for invoicing. The production copies were used for production and installation. At one time our shop had a lot of good people and 4 of us designed as well as ran a machine. Things can get out of control quickly without communication and our boss was afraid of paperwork not reaching his desk for invoicing, hence the job board.

We would go weeks without morning meetings with this process. To be honest, we didn't need them, but upper management feels left out when they only come in now and then.

The printouts were typically the same for all processes, but we used Corel, so I could use the large work area to create a full-size master file and full-size versions of each process for them to work off of. Using a full-size version makes things so much easier when you have 3 processes coming together. One scaling error and you get to do it again, then if something gets damaged a full-size version is repeatable without error...

https://www.staples.com/azar-displa...MI1sKHw62c7QIVgb2GCh0dNALUEAQYASABEgIY6fD_BwE

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Currently I have a white board with magnets. Blue for signs, pink for apparel each magnet has the name and job abbreviated "PLR Coro" "Krause Shirts" "GG Window". I move the magnets. My first column is "today" and then art, production, install, proof out, next week, on order. Use dry erase for the titles because you will change them a few times until you get it right. I keep the job boxes near so I can just grab as needed instead of having this big pile on my desk. I used to keep the boxes on my desk in piles but it's so hard to see the big picture. I like this way much better and my desk is clear now.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We used to use a 4 x 8 dry erase board blocked out like a calendar with two weeks (5days). Everything was color coordinated for proofs, installs, finishing etc. A few months ago we started using trello and haven't looked back. So easy to track and move jobs along. However it does't handle invoicing and such so we're on track to get Cyrius with hopes to combine the two.

stxrmxn

Kanban is a free software board. We tried loads until we settled with this.
It replaced our manual white boards.
Full of features, just log in on every workstation and they are all sync'd.
Simply enter in the job number and when it moves through the factory to the next stage the operator drags it across to the next lane.
Lanes can be customised ie "printed" "cut" "waiting collection"
Enter in due dates, notes, heaps of stuff.
Really helped us when customers phoned up asking about progress of a job. Simply type in the order # or customer name whatever you called it and you can instantly see where it is in the workflow.
Get daily e mails of jobs which need to go that day.
Try it :)

Rocco G

Staples (and probably a ton of other places) sell 30, 60, 90 day dry erase wall planners, even up to a year. "At a Glance" is one brand name I believe. Simple and pretty cheap, less than $35 IIRC. Mine has lasted 10+ years. And yes I do admit to being an old dinosaur.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
If a sign designer would actually study what's necessary in regards to important info (rather few data points) for their work in progress board (WIP list) and then strongly consider the eye-path, the sign "expert" might discover the often misuse of the Kanban method if the cards are being moved.

Kanban cards do not necessarily need to be moved at all. Kanban cards are only signals. The signal cards may be colored, or marked, or both. A traffic signal does not move – it just changes, and thus displays a status for the lane.

The most basic layout for a WIP list is that of an airport flight status / schedule and is far more efficient in every aspect. Some modern airport displays employ Kanban-type signals. The signals do not move, they just change, such as orange colored "Delayed" against an otherwise black and white sign. Easy-on-the-eyes, hierarchical, a single sort action arranges all rows, all attributes always in their specific lane, highly effective.

Kanban was originally designed for assembly lines supplies and not for tracking work progress.