• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Protection for tags

Dale D

I have to do a bunch of vehicle tags with cut vinyl and was looking for suggestions to seal up the vinyl . They are metal tag blanks with a mix of print/cut and die cut vinyl. I was considering either a liquid laminate or possibly a polyurethane to seal up the tag. Any suggestions appreciated. TIA

jfiscus

Rap Master
What do they look like? Seems like screen printing would have been a better route for these?

Dale D

I dont do screen printing. When I contacted a friend who does, he said way too many colors shadows and gradients for screen printing.

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
Look into UV DTF prints. Its a Direct to film transfer and the end product is very nice and glossy due to the clear varnish layer the UV printer produces. We have used Ninja Transfers and the end product was very well received. Very easy to apply and seems very durable.
Theres a ton of videos on YT.

Dale D

Sorry, UV wont work. My customer isnt interested in UV as you can NOT UV print some of the vinyl material qualities. That is why in my original post, I mentioned it is a mix of printed and die cut as some things printers cant do yet. Screen Printing has the same issue.
Let me know if you can help with the original question.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Liquid Laminate will work great.
I use automobile paint clear coat, it has UV protection in it and use it on all my Beachside Signs.
Six light coats.
Krylon also has it in a spray can, Gloss, Satin and Matt Finish all with UV Protection.

Vassago

Depends on the volume and use.

You could try dipping into pu varnish.

Quick, cheap and strong.

But, longer drying time as thicker coverage.

Usually when I work on projects, I work with clients to modify designs to suit the required task - makes it much easier for everyone. As an example, you could have an indent die made to press the design into the tag - but obviously that depends on client and use case. The issue in your case would arrise from material compatability - the more materials you use, the more failure modes you expose. Simplicity is your friend. What happens when your metal tag gets hot/cold?

Dale D

posting a pic would go a long way to getting more help....
The customer would rather not. It is a police department.
And others have mentioned, UV, or DTF prints.... problem is you cant UV print a reflective like reflective vinyl. These tags will be moved with officers from car to car.
Liquid Laminate will work great.
I use automobile paint clear coat, it has UV protection in it and use it on all my Beachside Signs.
Six light coats.
Krylon also has it in a spray can, Gloss, Satin and Matt Finish all with UV Protection.
Thank you. I was afraid of vinyl reacting/curling to some of the Krylon paints. I will pickup a small amount and try it.
I did try some waterbase polyurethane, it looked good, but id didnt cure very hard.