• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PSCS2 Jaggies...

gcljlamb

Can someone explain to me why when I create a simple text graphic in Flexi, export as a PSD file, open PS, open the file, the letters get all jagged and look like crap? Related to this, even when I try to create the text graphic in PS as a native file, the type doesn't look smooth. I'm sure this amounts to noobie OE (operator error), so, as soon as you're done laughing and have regained your composure, please let me in on the secret. I'm thinking it has to do with resolution, is that right? Where do I change that?

Also, is there any way to kern lettering in PS as easily as I can in Flexi?

Thanks in advance,

George

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes it has to do with resolution. I use 100 ppi at intended poduction size for setting up my original canvas. Try exporting from Flexi in EPs and then opening or placing that in PS.

Kerning is accomplished by selecting the character(s) to be tightened or loosened and then adjusting the spacing/kerning figure in the Type Character Palette.

gROUND cHUCK

In PH, when you click on the text "T" icon in the toolbox, you will see the info below the main menu bar change. To get the clean text make sure that where you see the double aa's is on something other then NONE, anyone of them will clean the edges and as for kerning, just click on the LIST looking icon (the last icon before the NO and CHECK MARK symbols.) and the text dialog box will appear.

gcljlamb

Thanks!

Chuck, yeah, that part I found, and it worked to some degree. I'll try to mess with it some more.

Fred, I guess I'm Flexi spoiled, man. With all the laurels that PS has garnered, you would think they'd have a kerning system at LEAST as easy as Flexi. Maybe it will be after awhile, but right now, I'm probably going to do any kerning-kinds of processes in Flexi and export to EPS. We'll see how that works.

Thanks again,

George

gcljlamb

Fred,

I imported the EPS into PS and it worked great. Regarding the "intended production size", is that in Flexi?

Thanks,

George

gcljlamb

Hey Fred...

Did you see my previous post? Also, I went to Photoshop Cafe and tried a different "Chrome" tutorial only to come to another impass. When I tell the program to convert my text to shapes, it changes the layer showing me a layer thumbnail and a mask thumbnail. According to the tutorial, I'm supposed to use the gradient tool with the right settings and drag the mouse top to bottom on the text, except simply moving the mouse around, I get a "no" sign (circle with a diagonal line through it). Attempting to do the procedure gives me "Could not use the gradient tool because the content of the layer is not directly editable." From there, I tried deleting the mask layer and was able to execute the gradient except that not only is my gradient a transition from a darker grey to a lighter grey, it's also a transition from completely transparent to moderately transparent, which I didn't want. Any ideas?

Thanks yet again,

George

gROUND cHUCK

I think you are just converting to a shape or adding a mask to the text. Try right clicking on the text layer and click on rasterize type. then use the wand to select.

Normally I make a duplicate of the text layer before rasterizing, in case a change needs to be made later.

gcljlamb

Chuck,

Thanks for jumping in. I didn't realize there was a distinction between right clicking on the "T" inside the square inside the text layer and right clicking, say, over the title of the text layer. There's two different menus available when you do that! Anyway, when I did what you told me, it worked great!

I'll see if I can get through the rest of the tutorial without bugging you guys.

Thanks again!

George

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
gcljlamb said:
Fred,

I imported the EPS into PS and it worked great. Regarding the "intended production size", is that in Flexi?

Thanks,

George

No. When you open an EPS file in Photoshop the dialog tells you the canvas size it will open as and at what resolution. Because the EPS is a scalable vector, you can increase the size to anything you like with no loss of quality ... but only this one time. Once it is a dedicated bitmap, that is no longer the case.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I wish it were possible to import vector paths into Photoshop from the File>Open dialog box.

Instead of placing EPS files into Photoshop, I prefer to simply copy them into Photoshop via the clipboard from Illustrator. CorelDRAW and Flexi cannot do that since they do not support the AICB paths clipboard format. I think Illustrator and Freehand are the only drawing applications that do. The advantage of doing this is you can select various paths, use them to apply fills or change them and do all sorts of tweaks without having to go back to the application used to create the paths.

Now if I'm in a time pinch, I'll probably just place an EPS file into Photoshop and be done with it.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You can do kerning and leading using the same keyboard shortcut as Illustrator.