• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Purchasing a sticker machine

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Hi. My daughter wants to make stickers and likely sell them. Does anyone have experience printing on vinyl stickers? Which brands/models have been good for you? Is laser out of the question? Also hopefully one where cartridge replacement isn't draconian.
:welcome::readthread:

AKwrapguy

I will take a week and try to decide if I go for a Mimaki UV or Eco-solvent
Just throwing this out there, and not sure if I missed it, but have you looked at a latex printer?
You don't have to wait on the out gassing, and can use a wide array of media.

I also agree that getting independent machines will help you out alot. I know that the Print/Cut machines sounds nice, but it creates a bottle neck in the production.

Edwin Mukiria

I was exactly in your same position 3 years ago. Here's the right way to think about it.

- cost savings: yes, please do it yourself. It will be more work at first, but eventually once you understand the technology and the process you can actually expand your production line because you control the production process and know its capabilities.
- process: you need to print, laminate, and cut. Keep those processes separate. Do not combine the machines, will be a nightmare. Those printer/cutter machines are for small batches.
- printer: stay with eco-solvent, skip on the UV printer. UV requires too much maintenance and has more moving parts. Eco-Solvent has been around forever and technology works. Brands I recommend Mimaki and Epson. make sure you get roll to roll. You will be printing entire rolls at a time.
- laminator: any of the major brands
- cutter: graphtec or summa. I use graphtec. Make sure you get the new ones with barcode readers.
- sizes: you will only need 54 inches. All rolls come in 54 inches. I have my setup for 64 inches and have never used anything 64 inches.
- outgassing: dont worry about it. I print with an Epson S40600 and outgassing has never been an issue. I go straight to cut, or laminate and cut. Most of the time the printed roll is just sitting around for a day or two. You do not have that much volume at all, your guys coming in part time can handle that.

My setup is Epson S40600, Royal Sovereign Laminator, and Graphtec Cutter. Been running this setup for 3 years. No problems. If I had to change anything would be the Epson printer for a Mimaki. My other Mimaki in the shop has been nothing but good to me (and I purchased used!!)
Hello,
Joining this conversation quite late, but what mimaki printer do you use? And are you still using the same setup you mentioned?
Thanks.

Edwin Mukiria

Thank you everyone for the helpful tips!

I will take a week and try to decide if I go for a Mimaki UV or Eco-solvent.

Thanks again!
Hello,
So which package did you choose and how is it working out?
I've also been outsourcing labels and considering bringing them in house.
Thanks.