• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Q Series, need help with reg marks and having plotter recognize them

cbprinter

We've recently gotten to a point at my shop that we need to be able to print and plot, when previously we were only a print shop who occasionally plotted out of stocking vinyl.

We're running a Vinyl Express Q64 and Mutoh VJ-1624 with Flexi's Production Manager and running into issues with being able to communicate the registration marks to the plotter. The ARMS works fine detecting everything on the material, but sending a file in which the plotter understands the marks is another story. I'm accustomed to Mimaki and their FineCut software from the first shop I worked at so I'm at a loss. All of the tutorials (the very few...) I can find on Production Manager assume your printer is a printer-plotter. We do not have the menus shown in the tutorials so I'm assuming we didn't receive an extension as our Mutoh is only a printer. Plotting through Production Manager with registration marks just makes the plotter cut the marks, rather than using them like it's supposed to, even after manually having the Q64 go through it's finding process.

The plotter's drivers are installed, everything is connected and communicating. Today I acquired Cutting Master 3 to see if we could solve this problem but CM3 cannot find the plotter through the USB. I'm about to try downgrading to CM 2. Otherwise tutorials and info have seemed to be scarce, no matter my keyword combinations.

I feel like this is an incredibly easy fix that I'm missing, but I just can't find it. Any help would amazing. I'll be reporting back on my success with Cutting Master 2. Thanks in advance.

The Q-series is a rebranded Graphtec, but it's firmware will typically not allow the use of the Graphtec plug-ins. You'll need to configure and drive it from Flexi's Production Manager.
It sounds like perhaps your job file is not set-up properly in Flexi - you need to have path(s) defined as a spot color called CutContour.

Check he SignWarehouse web site, as they sold the plotter and have support responsibility for it.