• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

[Qns] What happen if you print white with CYMK only

chuanzuya

Hi all, I am new to printing decals.

Scenario: My illustrator graphic has white details, my roland bn-20 printer does not have white ink, only CYMK.
I am using a white base decal material. What will happen to the white color details of the graphic when it is printed out on the material? would it turn out to be a different color or would it not be printed at all?

I'm trying to use the white decal base as a "white ink" but my illustrator graphic shows solid white I'm worried that the white area may be printed out to become other color since i do not have white ink in the printer.

J Hill Designs

when no white ink is present, the RIP (should) read it as 'dont print here'

edit: I wouldn't use a 'white base' object while designing.

chuanzuya

when no white ink is present, the RIP (should) read it as 'dont print here'

edit: I wouldn't use a 'white base' object while designing.

Certain designs have solid white in it, i'm trying to use the decal white material to replace the use of white ink.. if the software (versawork) is able to read it and not print any color on the white area then it would be great :) thanks for ur input

J Hill Designs

yes thats what the software does

with white ink:

if (white spot color found) {
print white;
}

without white ink:

if (no color present) {
print nothing;
}

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Most RIPs will try to interpret white just like any other color. I have noticed that most of the time it will add a little cyan in to give the illusion of being whiter than the substrate and it actually works in some cases. If you want the white in the decal to match the white of the vinyl, always make white areas clear in your file. Clear is the only color that will not be interpreted by the RIP unless you use the color replace settings. Most of the time having white in the image won't be a problem but if you notice in the future that it is laying down a little cyan in the white, this is why.

chuanzuya

Most RIPs will try to interpret white just like any other color. I have noticed that most of the time it will add a little cyan in to give the illusion of being whiter than the substrate and it actually works in some cases. If you want the white in the decal to match the white of the vinyl, always make white areas clear in your file. Clear is the only color that will not be interpreted by the RIP unless you use the color replace settings. Most of the time having white in the image won't be a problem but if you notice in the future that it is laying down a little cyan in the white, this is why.

thanks for your input mate, do you happen to have any source of tutorial on how to clear the white area in an illustrator? tried searching on google and youtube, nothing so far.. pardon my ignorance its my first week into decal printing >.<

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
thanks for your input mate, do you happen to have any source of tutorial on how to clear the white area in an illustrator? tried searching on google and youtube, nothing so far.. pardon my ignorance its my first week into decal printing >.<

That is something you are going to want to watch a tutorial on if you are new to this. You basically cut shapes out of your design instead of just laying a white shape on top of color shapes. Look up "Pathfinder" tutorials for illustrator. Pathfinder is a tool in illustrator that lets you meld, cut, simplify and knock out shapes in your design. It is probably one of the better tools to learn as it is simple to learn and allows you to create more simple, clean cut, professional designs and files.