• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quark

Jen Goodwin

Does anyone use this or know how to get a file properly from Mac based Quark to PC based Illustrator, Flexi, Omega etc.? Can you convert the text to curves, outlines etc in Quark? I have a customer who builds everything in Quark and then prints the stuff out on a sheet of paper too large to scan and expects me to scan it, just to produce a set of magnetic signs.
Lets just say I am getting sick of it! :wink: But I have never even seen Quark, so I cannot advise them in how to give me a file.
:thankyou:

Baz

Tell your customer to save it as an .eps or .ai format. Convert all fonts to curves. Request a .jpg or print out of the file so if there arent any discrepancies in the file you open, you will be able to adjust it accordingly.

Things that can happen are: errors with masked objects, compound objects dont appear correctly, gradients become a million shades of solid color, colors get changed.

If they supply it to you on a cd. Make sure it is pc formated. Illustrator should not have a problem opening a mac .eps or .ai file.

Jen Goodwin

Do you use it, Baz? Can the fonts be converted to curves? That is standard for what I tell everyone when getting files, I spill the directions in my sleep :Big Laugh . This particular co. says they can't convert text nor can they provide an .ai file???? The response I get is more like "huh?" or "uhhh...I'll see what I can do." or my favorite..."I'll just put the fonts on the disk!" no matter how much I tell them I cannot load mac fonts not to mention the legality of that!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You can try .pdf depending on the version of Quark. Hopefully Quark goes away soon, many of my friends have already switched to InDesign after the last version had so many bugs.

Jen Goodwin

:Big Laugh I agree Rick! Some I know have already switched and say they will never look back. She HAS sent a .pdf and it still wants to substitute her fonts, I don't have the particular fonts that she uses - some are only available as Mac fonts.
:help:
Oh well. What is most annoying is that they think I am stupid and just can't open their files! HA! Not to mention that I don't use that program and I am the one trying to figure it out! or not to mention the lovely masks, strokes instead of outlines, white boxes covering things that shouldn't be 'shown', multiple vectors stacked on top of each other, beautiful design work....okay, enough ranting.....back to work Jen.
Thanks guys...I guess I'll get scanning :biggrin:

Baz

I 've never used it Jen. And i thought i had a customer (ad agency) that used it. I called them and it turns out they dont use it either, they use Freehand.

Ive been browsing through the Quark website forum and i havent found anything about converting fonts to curves. I 've read that you can export to a .pdf file. Although i think fonts will be a problem since its crossing platforms (mac to pc).

I also just read a interesting thread in the technotes section:

It is not possible to embed fonts in an EPS graphic created by saving a QuarkXPress™ page as an EPS file. However, if you create an EPS graphic in another application that does allow font embedding, then place that graphic on a QuarkXPress page, any fonts embedded in the original EPS graphic will be included when you save that page as EPS file from QuarkXPress.
You can embed fonts when you create a PostScript output file by “printing” your QuarkXPress document to a file rather than a printer

Sorry i cant be of anymore help. I'm sure others will respond shortly. Rick! oh Rick! where are you? :Big Laugh

Rick

They can send the file to the printer as a postscript file, then open it in Distiller and convert it to .PDF as one option.

Or save as .pdf, then they open it in Illustrator or Freehand and convert that to outlines then save it as an .eps or .ai.

There are still quite a few graphic designers who don't get it, they think sign people just press print and out spewes out the sign, and of course they think you are crazy. You are not, they need to conform to the way you are able to output without getting that specialty software.

OldPaint

quark is more of a desktop publisher program. kinda of a M/S PUBLISHER but harder to use, and way overpriced!!! the COREL MAGAZINE.... was published in QUARK.... now thats funny.

Rick

Most magazines still are, in it's time Quark was a great program though I see little similarities with Publisher on it's ability to layout and output, especially a massive document like a magazine. It is actually an easy program, I still use it at times for film for silkscreen, and getting things prepped for production on some of my older print stuff.

vid

I may be too late for this one, but type can be coverted to outlines/curves in Quark (MAC version 5).

>Highlight the type with the type tool.
>Select STYLE from the menu bar
>Select TEXT TO BOX from the pull down menu

A vector image of the type will be duplicated and offset below the original line of text.
A vector image of the type will be duplicated and offset below the original line of text.

The converted type will need to be moved back to the original position of the layout and filled with the appropriate color.

Also, the original type will need to be deleted.

The file can then be saved out of Quark for illustration sofware in two ways:

> FILE > SAVE PAGE AS EPS
or
> FILE > EXPORT > DOCUMENT AS PDF...

It's just that easy...

...however, I'm guessing that you will hear a bit of a rant from your customer about what a PITA it is to do it that way. It does get a little frustrating to work through the process --- if the type exists on two or more lines, each line will need to be converted separately --- it's a Quark thing.

aaannnnd, you'll still need to work through all of the idiosyncrasies of what Quark does to a file, but at least you'll have the pieces.

Admittedly, I don't know all that much about Quark. I use(d) it every once in awhile for certain types of layouts. It's great for what it does... but signs ain't it.

Good Luck.

GregT

Just found this in a search on Quark files. A marketing customer sent me a quark file. I am running Flexi and Roland Versaworks any suggestions on how to use their file, or how to explain to them what we as sign makers need, without offending them and their superior intelligence;)

txsurfer

I use quark all day every day, have them save as a pdf with the fonts downloaded, then you can bring into AI