• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about laminating die-cut decals

legacyborn

I am looking to get a Versacamm. We need it to do a lot of things, but one thing we do a lot of is print decals.

I have worked with printed vinyl that I then run through my plotter to cut, but can not quite get the cuts quite right.

I am curious about laminating decals. How would I go about doing that before it is cut? Or do the prints even need it?

As I am typing this I realize this sounds like a very newb question, but I really need to know before I make a decision on which printer to spend money on.

Letterbox Mike

Can you clarify what you mean by "can't quite get the cuts right"? Are they not cut deep enough? Too deep? Not in the right place?

legacyborn

It's a "Graphtec"

but uh, it doesn't actually -say- that anywhere on the machine...

*hides his head in shame*

It's a DesignTech60, a cheap, branded, Graphtec.

I inherited it from a previous company and am, unfortunately, living with it until I decide on which printer/plotter I want. I also plan on getting a real graphtec in the future.

As far as the cuts not being right, they aren't aligned right. About 50% of the time I can get a cut within an 1/8th of an inch but the other 50% it is off by over a 1/4th.

Letterbox Mike

So what's the problem with contour cutting? Are you buying decals printed from someone else and then trying to get the plotter to accurately register and contour-cut them? Or is the plotter just not cutting regular vinyl vvery well? Not sure I'm understanding exactly what you're asking.

legacyborn

My question actually has nothing to do with my issues now, I was wondering how the versacamm is with registration when you have to remove the prints and laminate before cutting.

P

ProWraps™

im lost. im in sac. if you want to see how its done right, come over here. and i know what gato is, but what is Gorra?!?!?!

legacyborn

I guess on forums I'm used to, if you don't mention the problem people want to know why your asking. Thanks for the invite ProWraps, I'll pm you for some info.

Bill43mx

Back to your question....The Versacamm makes it pretty simple to print, laminate, then contour cut. It prints registration marks and then, when you return the laminated sheet to the printer, finds the marks and does the contour cutting. I've found it to be very accurate. As far as whether you even need to laminate that depends on the use/expected life of the decals. We do a lot of "promo" quality sticker where they are being given away and cost is the most important thing. If they aren't in a place where they are subject to abrasion they can last over a year unlaminated. If they get a lot of handling or things rubbing against them they may only last a few days. If you are going to run stickers without lamination it doesn't get any easier than with a Versacamm. If you are using lamination then there is an argument to be made for a seperate printer and cutter but, other than tying up your printer to cut and your cutter to print, I think it's still easier with the Versacamm.