• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about reducing waste when using the take-up system

Signed Out

do you raise the dryer temp when using the take up reel compared to if you aren't using the take up reel. We almost always have our dryer temp at 50.

Colin

50!!!??? It might depend on the printer, but boy that seems hot. Mine's set at 38. I'll bring it up to 42 if there's a lot of ink coverage.

shrug

Colin

There are others here who have more experience with all this than me; I'd like to hear their input.

petesign

50 is warm, I set mine to 42 pre heat, 40 at the head, and 45 post print. I have a mimaki, so that's a little different I guess... still think 50 is pretty hot.

HulkSmash

Just let it print until it hits the take up reel and then tape it on. We never have to pause it.... never.

Also if you're printing on a solvent printer that leaves your prints a little wet. The weight of 35 banners could press against one another causing your ink to go up against the back of the rolled up banner material. I'd unload the take up roll after 30 to 40 feet.

petesign

Colorado, I used to have that exact problem. There are a lot of dryer options out there, but we made our own using case fans and a powersupply from a dead pc. Total cost was about 40 bucks. I can print at 6 passes bi directional without prints sticking together anymore. Made a HUGE difference.

oh, sorry to be a thread priate... I know this started about waste, but if he isnt having to stop every 30 feet, maybe it still is :)

Attachments

• dryer.jpg
    dryer.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 90

HulkSmash

Your heat shouldn't matter if you're pre attaching it or not.

We just let it lead until it needs to be taped, and then tape it...

Also when printing that many banners, be sure to pull them off the take up every 40-50 feet, or the weight of the banner will cause the wet ink to leave blotches.

kirkbedtelyon

normaly i hang all my prints on a rack and let them cure for at least 24 hours.

I used to do the same thing with my vinyl- Now I pull out the tube, stand the vinyl on end, and run my finger around the inside of the roll to loosen the roll to create a small amount of space between the vinyl layers for better drying... I'm sure the method you use depends upon the stiffness of the media.

I read somewhere on here where the person set the printed vinyl roll on end on a milk create with a fan blowing up through the roll...

Wiggum PI

Only ever had trouble with high speed banner(sometimes ink transferring to back of banner), polypropylene and gloss photo paper ie anything that the ink doesnt absorb quickly on. Never any dramas with vinyls.

Sticky Signs

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. BUT, man there's some silliness on this thread that I just don't understand.
I have never once wasted 4'-5' of material for the take up roll on my Roland. Just tape it as it goes. I also don't pause in the middle of a print. That's just asking for a problem. Usually ends up leaving a discoloured line where the machine stopped.
I also run 95% of my materials all full heat without any issues. If a material doesn't dry properly, I simply slow down the head speed - problem solved. And on the rare occasion that I get buckling, I'll lower the temp.
Here's a hint for those of you that are about to try and tape on the fly. Wait till the leading edge is a couple inches from the floor. Crawl behind the machine with 3 pieces of tape. Grab the edge and push the tension bar forward. Now attach the vinyl to the core with a piece of tape in the middle and 2 more pieces on either end. Not sure about other machines, but it works for my Roland.
To the OP, I suggest using the media flanges when doing long runs. Helps keep the material on the core (the one it came on when you bought it) and avoids many potential problems.