• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question for pro wrappers...

Patentagosse

Today I have an old lady in the shop but a famous one. The owner ask me to wrap the red sections with new film (we have selected Avery Gloss Carmine Red)
The exterior (rear quarter panels - doors) are pretty simple but he wants the inside of rear fenders done (which weren't done on this replica). As the car is very old, parts no longer available, all chrome trims could not be pulled off. Same for side glasses. I have to deal with it but there's few spots where neither my fingers nor the squeegee will make it. There's also a pretty tricky portion inside the rear lights where it's concave spot I just don't know how to work it on.

Any advice? Can it be done in 1 piece? Are few splices acceptable?

Attachments

• IMG_8016.JPG
    IMG_8016.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_8010.JPG
    IMG_8010.JPG
    517.5 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_8013.JPG
    IMG_8013.JPG
    488.2 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_8014.JPG
    IMG_8014.JPG
    502.6 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_8015.JPG
    IMG_8015.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Your concave area looks to be a tough spot. Seams are an acceptable means as well as adhesion promoter. I personally am a minimalist when it comes to promoter.

Try to hide seam on natural body lines.

For the tight spot you mentioned, you have to be able to apply pressure to your vinyl. So any of those areas that you can't get to, can't be wrapped.

I'd only allow a 20% max stretch on your vinyl

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Your concave area looks to be a tough spot. Seams are an acceptable means as well as adhesion promoter. I personally am a minimalist when it comes to promoter.

Try to hide seam on natural body lines.

For the tight spot you mentioned, you have to be able to apply pressure to your vinyl. So any of those areas that you can't get to, can't be wrapped.

I'd only allow a 20% max stretch on your vinyl

Seams are acceptable as Modern Ink suggested hide them in body lines and make them face away from the viewer and they disappear.

As far as the tight spots, you may have to order some tools from www.44tools.com to reach the areas where you can't get your hand or squeegee into. You can also put a buffer or velcro on a flexible putty knife from your local hardware store (plastic or flexible steel).

Post heat, Post heat, Post heat...

44tools carries tools for window tinters and vinyl installers. Tinters have to reach back into the corners of the rear windows. They are also a good place to buy vinyl installation tools at good prices.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
100% correct/agree with Jester.

Correct tools for the job and post heat is an absolute must to the proper temp for the vinyl you are using

I have various squeegees and tools for wrapping. Micro, 6" squeegees, gloves, etc, etc.

If you are new to wrapping, just a plain 'ol squeege will not do it.

dbot

You gonna have some hectic difficulty there. I would say make sure the customer knows that they are not gonna get a perfect job. Pre-warn them they they cannot expect a perfect paint finish. Do it with some inlays. In that concave section, i reckon some clever pre-stretching before application to create a pocket could work well, limiting the tension in that area.

Are you using supreme wrap films?