• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on laminate pairing for medical clinic

PrintQueen

Hello all,

We have an upcoming project that involves printing opaque vinyl panels and applying them over existing glass panes. (photo attached.) This is in a dental hygiene clinic, and the panels of glass are used to separate each of the stations. The clinic uses CaviWipes to clean and sanitize, and these panes will be wiped down several times a day (photo attached of wipes the clinic uses). The old logo that is currently in place seems like a frosted decal, but it's on the inside of the glass - I believe its two small panes of glass sandwiched together at each of these windows. We are not going to be able to remove the glass panes, as we do not have enough time, nor does the client have the budget to go that route. Our compromise was to print two opaque panels and apply them to either side of the windows with the old logos (there are 17 locations).

my main concern is the over-laminate that we choose. We need something that is going to be able to hold up over time to rigorous cleaning. I was planning on using 3M IJ180 for the film. Generally, we pair with either 3M 8519 or 8520. Another option that I thought of -- we use an embossed/textured laminate for floor graphics (GF Concept 213). At first, I thought maybe that this option would hold up better to the constant wipe downs, but I wanted to reach out here to see if anyone had any recommendations. Ideally, it would be great to find like an antimicrobial laminate option, or something that is rated to withstand rigorous cleaning. I'm just afraid that the 3M options will not hold up to the wipes, and we'll end up having deteriorating panels in a short period of time.

ideally, we want these to be in place for as long as possible. It's kind of a compromise that we've landed on, since we can't really do frosted vinyl over frosted vinyl without having that old cut logo showing through.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations you can send my way!

Happy printing!

Attachments

• DH Clinic.jpg
    DH Clinic.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 590
  • wipes.jpg
    wipes.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 89

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a good idea. The place is for sure climate controlled, so other than choosing a sheen, I think ya have it figured out.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Not sure if it's available where you are, but Hexis do an antimicrobial laminate for situations like this:

Other than that, I'd probably laminate with an anti-graffiti laminate as they should withstand the constant cleaning.