• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

questions about exporting

steveo922

Hey guys,

This is probably a dumb question, but when you export something into a jpeg, is it possible to export to the acutal size?

For example, if I export text that is 3" x 8", I go to the file and preview it the windows viewer blows it up to fit onto screen. I would like to see it actual size.

Thanks!

grafxxx

what program are you using if you are viewing the file just make sure it's at 100%. like in photoshop when you click on the mag glass it has options to fit to screen or actual size.

hope that helped

pindesign

The image dimensions of the .jpg are what determine the size. So unless you (or your software) have resized the image somewhere along the line, the jpg will be actual size when you export.

So to view it actual size on screen, you just need to zoom to '100%'

Having said this, there may a -slight- size discrepancy on your monitor to print, depending on the resolution of the monitor.

Cheers!

Gareth

steveo922

Im not sure I explained it good enough.

Lets say I have a text thats 3" x 8". When I export into as a jpeg onto my desktop, I preview the jpeg, the windows picture viewer blows it up to the whole screen. I would like to preview it thru windows picture viewer at the actual size.

pindesign

Oh, Windows picture viewer... There are two small buttons down the bottom of the window, next to the < and > buttons.

One is for "Best Fit", The other is for "Actual Size" Just press the "Actual Size" Button and that should be it!

(you can also use Ctrl-B for best fit, and Ctrl-A for actual size!)

Hope that is what you needed!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If you are exporting at a PPI resolution setting greater than the screen resolution of your monitor then it will be larger because it is converting it to your screen resolution.

steveo922

Oh, Windows picture viewer... There are two small buttons down the bottom of the window, next to the < and > buttons.

One is for "Best Fit", The other is for "Actual Size" Just press the "Actual Size" Button and that should be it!

(you can also use Ctrl-B for best fit, and Ctrl-A for actual size!)

Hope that is what you needed!

when I clicked actual size, it made it bigger...

let me show you what Im talking about.

As you can see, the first image is in flexi with text that is 3" x 8". The second pictures shows when I export it and view it, it takes up my whole screen.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 81
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 86

pindesign

I see what you mean. Look at Fred's comment about resolution.
If you must use windows picture preview, you would need to set your exported jpg to match the display res. (This is accessable in the Advanced tab of windows Display properties) However, this may well be a pain in the *ss for your workflow.

Personally I use Illustrator to do what you are talking about, Illy just reads the image dimension data and viola!

I would assume Indesign, Corel or most Layout/Illustration software would do the same thing. But if you don't have that software, perhaps some of the 3rd party image preview programs for windows will do the same.

There are several available on the net, do a search around, they are all cheap and usually come with a demo so you can see if it does what you want.