• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions regarding cutting order and job spacing

I use a Roland VS-540i and I've noticed that if I say, have 100 stickers to print/cut, the plotter won't necessarily cut each sticker in order - for example if I have a row of 10 stickers it'll cut the one on the far right first, then skip ahead to the 4th, then back to the 2nd, then over to the 7th, etc. It seems like this takes up more time than if it cut them out in order so what's going on here? Is there something I can do on my end to ensure that they will cut out in sequence?

Also, when I send more than one job at a time, there are a few inches of blank vinyl left in between each job. Is there a way to reduce this space?

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
This is something you should be able to adjust in the RIP. Mimaki printer cutters call it simply, Sort and it's a box you just check. It looks at the job and figures out the most efficient way to cut. Rolands should be similar. Basically when sort isn't checked, the RIP cuts in the order you designed rather than the optimal way. I'm sure someone with a Roland will chime in and let you know what Roland calls the setting. I fix them but I don't use them very much.

2B

I don't think Versaworks has a setting for this.

correct they do not that option that we can find.

to the OP, yes this also is a major annoyance for us and we would LOVE to get it fixed on the random cutting.

for the material between the material this you can change this, I think it is under the media tab

oksigns

VW will read the cut data in order of appearance in the file. The vector data/math is cut in order of creation in the program that generated it and sometimes can be read incorrectly too! You can increase your consistency by using the Print Setting-Copies in the Layout tab rather than gang multiples within the same file- which exacerbates this random cut problem.

metrographics

VW will read the cut data in order of appearance in the file. The vector data/math is cut in order of creation in the program that generated it and sometimes can be read incorrectly too! You can increase your consistency by using the Print Setting-Copies in the Layout tab rather than gang multiples within the same file- which exacerbates this random cut problem.

I solved this issue by ordering my cut paths in Illustrator before loading the saved EPS into Versaworks. So if you want a path to cut first, bring it to the top of the layer. Versaworks seems to cut things based on there position in your file. It can be a real pain if you are just cutting a file once.... But if there is a file you plan on printing and cutting alot it does help to organize your cut paths in order based on what you want to cut first.

Also what oksigns said about just making your copies in the Versaworks application works good too. You may not be able to do that with every file though.

-MetroGraphics