• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quick Books or Peachtree

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm considering one of the two...what would you recommend? I'm just a one-man show who is trying to get up to speed on the basics of accounting.

I plan on taking over the books from my wife who now does them the old-fashioned way...pencil & paper.

Jim

Edserv

Quick Books.
We've had accountants in the past try to steer us to Peach Tree, but QB is the hands-on winner everytime for basic and somewhat advanced finance. (of course, PLEASE talk with your accountant and tax people on this matter, but most accounting firms understand the basic needs of small-medium sized biz's)!
Good luck to you!
chris
Lets go banners

Rodi

The former bookkeeper where I work told me that QuickBooks could be easier for an thief to hide their stealing and that peachtree is much better. But I only see quickbooks at most places, just keep your eyes on the books if you are not the keeper of the books.

I plan on purchasing quickbooks when the time is right.

Slamdunkpro

I've used both:

Peachtree was written by accountants for accountants. It's very detailed and complex. It has a stronger audit trail than Quickbooks. You could run a Fortune 500 on Peachtree.

Quickbooks is easier for the lay person but there are some holes in it if multiple people are accessing the accounting records.

I found that more accounting firms seem to prefer their clients be on Peachtree because they can generate more billable hours due to the complexity of Peachtree (cynic mode)

As a small shop I currently use Quickbooks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
QuickBooks +

We had PeachTree back in the 80's and it was quite cumbersome. I'm sure it's improved, but we've never looked back.

Pat Whatley

Peachtree, hands down. Okay, I use Quickbooks and love it and I've never used Peachtree. I just felt sorry for it, it wasn't getting any support.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks for the responses.

Ok...here's the scoop. I purchsed Peachtree three years ago, and have dabbled with it just a few times...looks pretty involved to get it set up. I only purchased it because it had a 100% rebate. So essentially, this was a free deal.

I tried downloading the demo software for Quick Books today and once it was installed, it kept crashing my computer every time I launched the program...not sure what to think.

A couple of calls to CPA's today verified the fact that they are swayed toward QB for small businesses.

I guess I'll muddle through Peachtree and give it a fair shot before I completely pull the plug on it. From the sounds of it, most CPA's use more sophisticated software, but perhaps I can export my files to something compatable with theirs.

Any Peachtree users care to comment any further?

A

Aaron SDF

Peachtree..

I worked for Peachtree accounting software for 3 years. It is more advanced than quickbooks as stated earlier, however from a stability standpoint, it's leagues above QB. The newer software is easier to use, and most accountants have both systems.

The MAJOR selling point my buddies in sales were using when i worked there, is the fact that the technical support is located in America.

You WILL get someone with an accent you can understand.

If you grasp the concept of credits and debits, you want analytical information about cash flow etc. peachtree is for you.

If you just want the computer to give you some numbers without telling you why, quickbooks is the way to go.

omgsideburns

Ask the person who does your accounting what they prefer (if you have one).. When I ran my business my CPA preferred Peachtree and it would have saved me a man hour or two on my bill, but I used QB-online because I needed to access my books from everywhere.

Mark S. Adams

If you are an accountant, or have one working for you, use Peachtree.

If you are NOT an accountant, and are just trying to do your books on the computer, use Quickbooks.

My wife is an accountant, and we use Peachtree.

Firefox

We have used QB for close to 20 years once we got out of the shoebox! My bookkeeper is very well versed in it and so is the CPA we use. all the CPA ever asks for is a Backup file to work from. He does use another program but I believe he is able to import the QBB file to do his thing.

I originally had Peach Tree and it was a bear to figure out, Shortly after I hired my current Bookkeeper who recommended QB... have never looked back.

rigosign

I have a question on quickbooks how do you guys sort your inventory? I have been just putting size and name so 18x24 aluminum and sell it that way. But I am not able to track my inventory so I have been trying to figure out how to sort it correctly and also input it correctly on a invoice.