• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quote page on your website?

peavey123

Hey All, I am in the process of building a website for our shop. In the initial discussion with my boss he mentioned having a quote page.
What are your thoughts on the matter? Do legit customers use this feature in your experience? Would you suggest I skip the quote page or include it?

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I've setup a few in my time but they are hard to keep up to date unless you make them generic or overpriced. Also your competitors can use it to adjust their prices.

Not sure what your version of an ideal customer but if it's the walk-in type I would just make your phone number very clear on the site and use a good voicemail or forwarding system.

If you put up a contact page make sure someone monitors it. Last month I contacted two seamless gutter places via their contact page. Still haven't heard from them and I don't plan on calling those two by phone.

J

john1

I have one on my website, Just a basic form with their name, email, phone number, comment box and 2 attachment fields. Helps keep the spammers away and some people do use it.

peavey123

I've setup a few in my time but they are hard to keep up to date unless you make them generic or overpriced. Also your competitors can use it to adjust their prices.

Not sure what your version of an ideal customer but if it's the walk-in type I would just make your phone number very clear on the site and use a good voicemail or forwarding system.

If you put up a contact page make sure someone monitors it. Last month I contacted two seamless gutter places via their contact page. Still haven't heard from them and I don't plan on calling those two by phone.

I wouldn't put a pricelist online. ha What do you mean by monitoring your contact page?

just a 'request a quote' form is what I'd do

That's what we were thinking. Although, Another thread got me thinking about how having direct contact with your client via phone or in person is much better than having anonymous e-mails coming in.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't put a pricelist online. ha What do you mean by monitoring your contact page?

Guess I'm confused by what you mean by a "Quote page" then. If the quote page can generate a quote without talking to someone, that's almost as good as pricelist.

By monitoring I mean make sure your contact form works and that the email it is sending to is checked by a human being everyday if not 24/7.

HulkSmash

I didn't even think of an upload button. Good call.

Looks like the general consensus is to go with a quote page w/form.

on a good day, 25-30 quote requests from our website. These are the lazy people who don't want to pick up a phone and talk to a couple companies getting quotes... trust me it's worth it.

m_kramar

This is slightly off-topic, but let me show how we do automatic quote for laser-cut jobs. The website I'm currently building is www.LaserCute.com. Users can upload vector files, we automatically analyze it and calculate time/price.

Fabricators can use this service to embed quote calculation page into their website, here is one example: http://www.lasercute.com/Order/Exclusive/8fba5e1e-c0fc-4ec6-906a-dee5bb82fa2d.

Again, this is automatic quote for laser cutting, not for sign making.

jaybeeb

on a good day, 25-30 quote requests from our website. These are the lazy people who don't want to pick up a phone and talk to a couple companies getting quotes... trust me it's worth it.

agreed, although I disagree that they are lazy.

can't believe it's debatable really, I'd hate to be paying someone to write up quotes all day when the web site can do it for free.