• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

R-M auto paint......... help.

skyhigh

I am in desperate need of some help (rush job). I have a local auto body guy who is mixing me some paint. I need to match a pms color (202c), but he dosen't have any way to cross reference a pms, cmyk values or rgb.

Any auto body painters out there?

SignManiac

I usually have to take my PMS book to his shop and match by eye from his paint chip catalog and get as close as I can. To my knowledge, there isn't a cross reference chart to go from automotive or house paints to PMS. I've tried in the past with no luck.

skyhigh

He has matched paint for me in the past. He would call his R-M rep. & give him the pms number, and the rep would give him the recipe. I will mention, he's been dead nuts on every time.

So, I'm guessing there must be a cross reference out there somewhere. Unfortunately its Saturday, and I simply cannot wait till Monday (or shall I say, RATHER NOT WAIT...LOL) for a call to R-M.

John L

I have a local auto paint supplier that I use for that regularly. I have to take him the PMS color chip and he scans it with the handheld scanner they use to take color readings off of cars. He mixes it in the U-Tech base coat/clear coat material. For electric signs, channel letters, cut-out letters, etc. I also get the Azko flattening paste which turns the high gloss clear coat into more of a satin finish, but just as durable. Anyway, it's a perfect color match evertime.

U-tech is made by Azko-Nobel and his scanner also says Azko-Nobel on it, so maybe it's their system that gets me so close. The manufacturers number is 800-618-1010, maybe they can tell you the name of your local supplier.

Best of luck.

John L

We were typing at the same time.

Sounds like maybe his rep is the one holding the PMS chips and the scanner.

skyhigh

You're probably correct John. Thanks for the contact number.

My auto guy dosen't have a scanner.......I'm hoping that one of our sign/car guys have a scanner & a pms book. :rolleyes:

How does that expression go........"Wish in one hand, and $hit in the other"?

Never quite understood that phrase, but it seems to apply anyways.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

skyhigh

:Oops:, did I hit a button? :rolleyes:

Accidents happen......I hope you don't think I was trying to bump my thread.