• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Race Car Lettering

trik

I have been doing race cars for 10 years, and sorry to say yes they want it as cheap as possible, so there are those that get just that cheap stuff, and those that pay for it. The $300 that you did was low in my opinion, and it really depends on what you need to make to be profitable. Like OldPaint said they want to spend their money on parts not graphics! I probably would have been around $500, you have to factor in all the time, 3 layers, so you have to keep changing the vinyl on the plotter, weeding it, layering it, then applying it, and last but not least artwork time? Were you matching sponsor logos? If so did he provide you the vector art or did you have to recreate it? When all that is added up, did you really make money even at $500? Possibly :)

I love doing cars, sponsor a couple of people every year, and believe it or not I get work from it, so i don't complain, but am backing up the story that racers want it cheap :)

Good luck!

mark in tx

Since I am a racer, and am now doing letters & graphics as a broker thru another guy at the track, I think you guys are creating a biz opp for someone that likes doing race cars with your attitude toward racers.

This attitude you speak of comes from dealing with racers over time.

I think your attitude about this "vertical market" will change over time.

sauer_power

As a racer myslef for the last 7 years and been around racing with my father and brother since I was born. I have been cutting vinyl on the side for almost 5 years and racecars are a big part of my business. But anyways $300 was way to cheap in my opion. I charge $30 for a single color number $45 for a double and $60 for a three colored number and all others are extra. I have had people that think $100 is to much and people that dont bat an eye at over $400 but thats the racers for you. If you think racers whine about vinyl try asking them about there motors. My dad has been in the engine business his whole life and has his own shop, they nit pick and whine about every dollar on every bill. then they go somewhere else for a year and are begging the following year to come back because so and so rapped them on prices last year.

anyways there my $.02

TheSnowman

Racers typically have the same record as realtors. They want it yesterday, they make it way more complicated than it has to be because they don't know what they are talking about, and they want it for free. No ALL are like this I'm sure...but most.

Racers aside, unless it's a business, I generally don't even mess with cars anymore. A business understands what it takes to run a business, and normally has a figure in their head that is in line with what I would charge, unless it's a fly by night business that is out to rip everyone off anyway. People think their cars are so amazing and cool, and 9 times out of 10, they are the biggest piece of crap in town that they think is the coolest. I just normally say we don't do that anymore...or if I do bid it, I charge what it's worth for the time that they are about to waste of mine, for over complicating it.

rgaskins

I guess I get so worked up because the race drivers that come in my door want me to do it for putting my name on their car...That just dosn't make money for me...I have been telling them to go get a Cricut cutter and do a little DIY...

Mosh

MONEY UP FRONT ON ALL RACE CARS! (I do 25-30 cars a year) This is the best thing I can tell you. Racers for the most part talk a big game, but for the most part can't afford thier HOBBY!!!!! GET THE MONEY and don't let them talk you into sponsoring them! If you do other racers will see your name on the car and think AHH, think guy will letter our cars for free too! Racers are out for the cheapest deal. Trust me I have been around them for 25 years and are best friends with some of them!!! I always ask them if they will sponsor my drinking if I sponsor thier car, it never works.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the last 38 years… I’ve done my share of cheap-O cars and….. had some really good customers in the race car industry. They are few and far between.

As far as racers being any different…. Probably not, Earl, but I do know that I can get $125 for a set of cheap magnetics or $350 for a set of pick up doors… so why would I waste my time doing something that will take us 2 or 3 hours for $300… or even $400 when I can get that in ½ hour doing what we know works… for whom we know pays ??

I know a guy that made a killing at the track with his cutter and single & double color cut-outs. After the cost of the rental at the track and his materials…. he made about $15,000 CASH a weekend from all the guys that needed the last minute stuff. He had them over a barrel. They never bought from him all year long, but the few tracks he went to… he more than made up for it. He went out of business after about three years of that crap. That was over 15 years ago… before all of this modern sign equipment was available and he couldn’t make it.

signpro

Manager
I remember doing a race car 1 time 15+ years ago and I did it as a sponsor. I made him pay for material and my part was labor. I thought it would get some biz generated but all i got was more guys wanting me to sponsor them. :banghead: Needless to say it was and will be my last race car.
exact same thing here about 5-6 yrs ago, we threw in the labor as "sponsor". what a waste of time. for the next 2-3 years we got at least a dozen racers in asking for free decals. not worth it!!

Yesterday i had a guy come in looking for 2-3 color numbers for both doors, and roof. and these were larger than normal numbers he wanted, so i priced it at $150. He tells me he can order them online for $50. I asked why he even bothered to drive over and check me out? i also asked for the name of that company, i told him at those prices i could make money reselling them! i was nice about it, but told him i won't even compete with that nonsense.