• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Race Car Wrap Printing?

klevrgrafix

I've been a customer of Signs365 for about a year now and have used their service maybe a dozen times for random prints, etc. I've been trying to work my way into the race car wrap business. I've done about 5 dirt track cars solely with die-cut vinyl and I've been wanting to try wrapping one with printed graphics. How do the guys that sell these wraps all the time produce their fluorescent colors? Is there actual fluorescent ink or do they use die-cut vinyl on the wrap and then laminate it all? Is there a such thing as a trade printing company that would this? Or would I have to order the printed wrap with everything except the fluorescents and add that myself? If that were the case, I'd either have to find some way to laminate after the fact or deal with the fluorescent fading after a couple months...

Thanks in advance!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yes, die cut on top of the wrap is what most people do around these parts.

If you want to laminate after you can do a liquid laminate such as ClearShield or you can get yourself a cheap Chinese 54" laminator for a couple hundred bucks (like I have) and laminate after with actual laminate.

rjssigns

To the OP:
There are fluorescent inks on the market. I'd imagine you would need a 6 color printer so you could utilize those slots. Would need a custom profile too.

Like the others have said the easiest is to overlay.

Good luck with the roundy-pounders.

FCD

Everyone uses overlays, I don't know of anyone using flourescent inks on them. We usually lay the overlays under the laminate, but honestly you could do it on top without issue as well, most cars don't last more than one season anyways so it doesn't really matter which way you do it.

rjssigns

Everyone uses overlays, I don't know of anyone using flourescent inks on them. We usually lay the overlays under the laminate, but honestly you could do it on top without issue as well, most cars don't last more than one season anyways so it doesn't really matter which way you do it.
Last a season? Lucky to last one race.:D. Friend of mine would have a complete set of replacement panels ready to go.
Car was perfect for every race and there was time to repair the smashed panels.;) Something to float to your clients.
It was a lot of work but it brought him a lot of business building cars and motors.

klevrgrafix

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your input! I think I'll give the wrap a try, probably next year, as this season is already underway.

Little Linda

Any of the digital printers that advertise fluorescent inks also warn that they are for INDOOR use only. The inks fade in a week or so outdoors.