• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RAMS3D software

ernie

Hi everyone.........:glasses:

Both my routers use Fanuc gcode for runtime files.

I have been using Casmate for years but have finally decided to try something new that will work with XP. I also have Omega with Artpath but it doesn't do much good without a gerber router.

I spent some time evaluating Artcam Insignia but I didn't like the price or paying an annual fee for support.

Rams3D enterprise appears to be just what I need to generate my runtime gcode.

Anyone else using this program?

dennis j

Ernie,
I looked at the trial version over a year ago but I already had Enroute, when I got my Enroute the sales person told me it would run my Gerber 408 but it didn't work. It took a while but they did get the drivers to work (thanks to EJ at SA) at that point I decided to stick with Enroute now I really like the program. Wish I could help you out.:help:

ernie

Dennis,

I looked at Enroute several times over the years but the demos always crashed my computer. Casmate did everything I needed at the time. But now I have a router larger than Casmate wants to support.

The Rams 3D is relatively cheap at $995 but it is only a CAM program all the design work has to be imported from your usual program.

Of course I am experiencing the normal learning curve problems.

ernie

ernie

Dennis,

We made a 3D model of a old time locomotive using autocad Inventor. I exported this as an .stl file and then created a tool path using an eight inch endmil. The gcode file is rather large so I haven't tried it on the router yet.

ernie

dennis j

Ernie,

Is Autocad Inventor a hard program to learn to use and is very expensive? If you run the job could you post some photos it sounds like it will be cool.

Dennis

ernie

Inventor can't be too difficult, my boy learned it in High School.

I can do some simple designs with it. But I need to spend a couple of days with the tutorials. I plan to take a week long course later this year.

I'll post the results once I get time to run some parts.

ernie

Dave Draper

I think our router is coming with PRO LAB...does that sound right?
I wish I could remember what they told me. I will know in a week or two.

dennis j

Joe,
Are you running the 3D version of Enroute? I have not met many Enroute owners to compare notes with yet. :cool1:

ernie

Dave,

I think the software is called Profilelab. I have to believe it is much improved, I looked at Signlab 5 or 6 years ago and V-carving files were very slow to generate. It seemed at least 10X slower than Casmate was. I remember thinking I wouldn't live long enough to run a complex file.

ernie

openwood

I would love to see some of the things that you have done with this software!I am tring to create a "Sheild" right now that is total 3d.I will try and post my progress,but i would love to see some things created with true 3d software.
Thanks
Brian
The owners son will be coming in for the next month and is familar with all types of design software and will be able to help with a possible upgrade to my software.

ernie

I bought Rams3D CAM software and have used it for a number of jobs. Every single job has had problems because the software expects the incoming file to be perfect. The program just can not deal with typical signmaking files. The vendor always claims their software is perfect and no improvments are necessary.

The same files imported into Artcam and generated good gcode paths. In addition Artcam can clean up the file and highlight problem areas with a single click. Lots of fonts have little node loops and Artpath deals with these easily.

In summary, I have given up on Rams3D and consider it a waste of money. ArtCAM will be my next software purchase.

ernie

dennis j

Ernie
I know the feeling about buying things that didn't work over the years I guess that is how we learn but it sure does hurt the pocket book :rolleyes:

openwood

Thank for the info.I finally received my update to artpath.I have not loaded it in yet.The router has been running all day lately and i dont want to have any problems with the software when we are so busy.We still have an interest in 3D milling,but there has been no time to research it lately.I would still love to see some peices created with 3D software of any kind.

Brian :unclesam:

check out this site.they have some really cool stuff.It seems cheap compared to the 40 grand our company spent on a gerber 408.they also sell very good solid surface products and the best liquid inlay i have used.

http://www.alignritetool.com/

ernie

Alignritetool looks interesting. I wonder if there is any market for inlay corian?

What is liquid inlay?

ernie

openwood

liquid inlay

Ernie

Liquid inlay is a epoxy like material that is poured into routed out areas in solid surface materials like corian.there is a thread that talks about it and show some examples.I rout the letters then pour in the mixture into the corian.let it set and sand flat.it ends up looking like it is part of the peice.it is popular to do inlays in countertops and table tops made from solid surface materials.it comes in almost any color and align-rite will even match PMS colors.hope this info helps explain inlay.post again with any more questions.

Brian :unclesam:

sorry to take so long to reply,been very busy.Just installed my biggest router job ever.9'X28' bananna leaf.I will post some pics tonite.