• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion RE: Vivid Boss Premium Brand Gloss Laminate Problems? Shrinkage? Anybody else?

Jason Lee

[FONT=&amp]Hi all, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Just a quick question regarding Vivid's Boss Premium Brand laminating film. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Has anybody else in signage industry experienced any problems with the Boss Premium Gloss laminate & shrinkage when outdoors? Its a 3 year outdoor laminate so we didn't expect it to last any longer than 3 years but it was failing within a few months and looked awful on the signs which have had to be replaced! Its costing us thousands to rectify! We currently have legal representation to which ( funnily enough ) Vivid are denying that it was even sold for outdoor use even though IT IS STILL being sold as a 3 year laminate![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Any knowledge on this problem would be greatly appreciated. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thank you[/FONT]

Jason Lee

Thank you for your comment. I can't go into the case too much because legal action is well underway, however poor workmanship on our part has been ruled out. Apparently we were using 'indoor' laminate even though we have swatches to prove otherwise & it is still being sold as a laminate suitable for 3 year outdoor use! Madness! I shall keep you updated. Thanks again

Johnny Best

Anybody on this forum who has been in business for awhile has had calendered laminate break down. They all will tell you to use a good brand name cast product.
Learning through mistakes is a rough road to travel in business and good luck on the legal action journey. It may say it last 3 years outdoors but never how it will look over that time period.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have sold my fair share of bad laminate, there are guys in here who have had plenty of failure (very recently also) not only with my version but with many versions. I honestly do not think the vendor intentionally sold the material knowing it would fail in such a short time. I have had mix ups with missed labeled containers and sometimes you don't even know it until months down the road. It is becoming so cut throat with pricing that companies are opting out for shorter term materials and those materials are falling short of expectations.

Trust me I know, I get calls everyday from companies trying to do shortcuts and I fall into the same traps you do.

Jason Lee

Thank you for comment Johnny. We are't new to this business & have been in the sign industry for many years. We used another laminate before using Vivids Boss Laminate ( to which all the signs are still perfect ) and the laminate we have used since this problem is also absolutely fine. When you are sold a product to last 3 years outdoor you expect it to last longer than 6 months.

The laminate hasn't shrunk a little bit, we are talking 30-40mm within 6 months! & hasn't just shrunk but also tunnelled across the sign where it has contracted so much! The vinyl remains perfect and in place! Obviously we know that shrinkage will eventually occur but not in that time frame nor that amount.

Here is a picture of 1 of many signs affected by this problem.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you

IMG_6178.jpg

Christian @ 2CT Media

same problem happened to us about 3 years ago now with 3M 8508, 8512, and 8518... left egg on our face with lots of clients and a bad taste in our mouth for 3M.

Attachments

• 20150818_131405.jpg
    20150818_131405.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 20150818_131308.jpg
    20150818_131308.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 20150423_122012.jpg
    20150423_122012.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 20150421_160335.jpg
    20150421_160335.jpg