• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ready to go

functionpdx

So I've spent the last couple months getting things ready to start my own sign business from my home. I've gone through the proper channels and got my business license and IEN number wanting to do things right from the get go. Although I wasn't unfamiliar with illustrator before I can say I've learned tons since having to know how to setup files to send to the plotter and getting to know the plotter well enough to cut accuaratly took some time for me to figure out. And now I'm feeling confident that I have things in order well enough to start doing some jobs. My question is, working from home, what would be the best way to advertise myself? I have business cards and a website in progress but what's the best way to get attention? When I worked at a shop a few years ago I remember the sales people bidding on jobs somewhere on the net but I have no idea what site they were at.

zmatalucci

For some reason I picture craigslist full of lowballers and whackos, am I wrong?

Your going to have to start somewhere. Start beating the streets up,, joing a networking group such as bni or letip, and attend your local chambers of commerce's functions.

jscarl

He's right dead on with the Chamber Meetings. Any civic events in the near future around you.? A sign out front, back away from the sidewalk, will help a bit. Start TALKING and hand out business cards. Put up flyers on the local grocery store bulliten board. Come right out and tell people you are trying to grow. No job is too small. Good luck and welcome from mid Michigan.

Capital Signs

Very true, go hand out your cards... The most non-evasive way is go to the business. Ask for the manager. Present your self as Jack the ripper... I do signs, here is my card. If a need ever arises for signs or digital printing, please keep me in mind... Walk out the door 1/2 the time they nail you with questions before you leave.

R08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Signs
The most non-evasive way is go to the business.

huh?

I think he meant invasive.. but that doean't make sense either....

S

SignTech

I think he meant invasive.. but that doean't make sense either....

lol ....... yeah, I figured ..... duddent make tense .....

However a non-invasive medical procedure such as taking a blood pressure makes sense.

As far as sales ....... maybe he meant non-intrusive? Although if you walk into my business selling or offering anything ...... IS ... intrusive in my world.

:toasting:

RebeckaR

Do you have your FABULOUS logo and contact info on your car? It's a rolling billboard.

I've had people follow me into the parking lot (first time that happened kind of freaked me out!) to ask me about signs. I don't mean little white letters on your back window. I mean letter the sides of your vehicle using good design and bright colors.

R08

Do you have your FABULOUS logo and contact info on your car? It's a rolling billboard.

I've had people follow me into the parking lot (first time that happened kind of freaked me out!) to ask me about signs. I don't mean little white letters on your back window. I mean letter the sides of your vehicle using good design and bright colors.

Good advice. People have followed my wife home or talked to her at yard sales on saturday mornings. I've had people stop me on the street.
Some have taken the phone number down and called.
It's a great start.

functionpdx

Thanks for the info everybody. The idea of going to chamber meetings is interesting, I'll have to check into that, but I have no idea what goes on at these gatherings.

R08

Thanks for the info everybody. The idea of going to chamber meetings is interesting, I'll have to check into that, but I have no idea what goes on at these gatherings.

You just pay your dues and then go to the parties or whatever gatherings they have. Ours has golf tournaments and stuff in the summer. There's usually a christmas party etc.. They have an awards banquet once a year. Heck, I won first place in my division one year and I got to make a speech... You just can't buy that kind of advertising.

thesignexpert

Congratulations on your start-up and good job coming here to ask a serious question of some experienced sign pros.

Here is a link for newbies to the sign industry and those wanting to start a sign business. This is some simple information about starting up a professional sign shop along and links to other useful resources including the invaluable signs101).

Here is a link to a set of free sign company marketing pieces to help you communicate your sign shop's products and sell more signs in your market area.

Here are some really useful free sign company organization forms that you can use as you begin to bring in work.

GOOD LUCK!

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Pro Sign and Graphics
"A Pro Sign made Easy"

Juice Network