• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Recesses - How deep is too deep?

MrDav3C

So generally we are pretty on the ball with vehicle and van wraps however... We have to wrap 5 VW campers (T2 I believe).

Now these are not standard campers, they have been cut about & altered so a section the roof raises etc.

A body shop has altered the vehicles to make the opening sections of the roofs wider and to accommodate this, the glass panels on the sides have been shortened and filled to become solid recessed panels with a return of approximately 40mm.

Obviously on most standard vehicles the recessed panels usually have about a 10mm return - these seem huge!

Will I better off filleting the wrap just inside the recessed panel & applying a separate piece of vinyl inside the recess or should I treat this as normal & stretch from within the recess & work the vinyl into the recess?

Obviously we are very concerned about glue and ink density & don't want the wrap to fail!

Any good advice is appreciated!

rydods

Member for quite some time.
When in doubt, inlay or overlay. You say you don't want it to fail so that's the only way to ensure that it doesn't. :)