• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommended all in one machine for stickers

kaders23

I currently make wall decals with my cheap plotter and it works well. I'm interested in stepping up to a plotter printer so I can print pictures of things and also have it cut out.

Is there an inexpensive machine you would recommend to start out with?

I make nursery decor so being able to print things like tractors, nautical themed stuff or whatever in multiple colors is what I need done. I don't need a top of the line, newest, best machine.

Something that is simple and will do the job well.

I basically need to make big pretty stickers and am wondering if there is one machine that can do it all or do I need several machines?

Thanks!

AnthonyRalano

I make stickers on the VersaCamm all the time. I used to have a Mimaki with misaligned heads and all the small details looked like garbage because of the inks being offset.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you go with something like the summa dc series you gain a few advantages like:
No lamination required
Widely diverse material selection
Spot color printing
Low maintenance
Special effects printing

artofacks1

If you go with something like the summa dc series you gain a few advantages like:
No lamination required
Widely diverse material selection
Spot color printing
Low maintenance
Special effects printing

lamination is necessary for some situations. At least from what I learned .

toomeycustoms

What's your definition of inexpensive? You're going to be looking at a minimum of at least $5k for a used printer and more closer to $10k. Plus there is a learning curve, so expect to waste a lot of material at first. Don't get a Summa for your situation. Plus the wall decals won't need lamination.

We've got a Roland SC-545ex for sale for $10k as we've upgraded to a XR-640 if you're serious. We use it daily to create wall decals.

toomeycustoms

Why would the Summa be bad for what they are trying to do?

It may not be bad, just not ideal. I've never run a Summa, but from what I understand speed is slower and costs are higher. Isn't a summa more expensive to run with the ribbons compared to an inkjet? Also can a summa print on Phototex or Graphitex?

Stormyj

Just another guy
I bought a Roland SC540 for $5000. Great machine, not too expensive ecosolvent inks, prints and contour cuts, great for decals or lg format printing, can cut upto 54" wide, and do banners and other substrates. Some downfalls? Yea, its big, about 7' long and big big big. Takes up a lot of space. Need to keep it working or print heads will clog. Print heads are about $1000 a piece. But I think most are like that if not more. Also, It doesnt work with the new versa works, have to use the older roland colorip, but I dont have a problem with that. You can use Flexi if you want, but i dont see the reason to spend $4000 for a stepped up version of Signmate. Corel works perfect for me. export as eps or pdf and print/cut. Good luck.

Biker Scout

The word "Decal" is derived from the French word "Decalcomania" or "Décalcomanie" which basically means to transfer via a carrier of engravings or images to another object's surface, instead of painting/engraving directly on the surface.

"Stickers" is akin to saying "Sneakers" for Athletic or Soft Sole Shoes, or "Movies" for Motion Pictures. It's basically slang used by the rabble, or uneducated class of outsiders to the sign and arts industry.

Biker Scout

Fred, I got a great idea! Use the forum's built in word censor function. Anytime anyone types in sticker or stickers, it automatically replaces it with decal or decals! :thumb:

AnthonyRalano

I say stickers if its a company that is laid back and casual. Decals if it is someone old and grumpy. Either way its the same thing.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Decals are corporate advertising

Stickers are slapped on import tuners to make them go faster.....

wayne k
guam usa

kaders23

Hopes...

What's your definition of inexpensive? You're going to be looking at a minimum of at least $5k for a used printer and more closer to $10k. Plus there is a learning curve, so expect to waste a lot of material at first. Don't get a Summa for your situation. Plus the wall decals won't need lamination.

We've got a Roland SC-545ex for sale for $10k as we've upgraded to a XR-640 if you're serious. We use it daily to create wall decals.

I was hoping to keep it under $5k to start out.

kaders23

Newby

The word "Decal" is derived from the French word "Decalcomania" or "Décalcomanie" which basically means to transfer via a carrier of engravings or images to another object's surface, instead of painting/engraving directly on the surface.

"Stickers" is akin to saying "Sneakers" for Athletic or Soft Sole Shoes, or "Movies" for Motion Pictures. It's basically slang used by the rabble, or uneducated class of outsiders to the sign and arts industry.

I am new to the industry so please forgive the slang. ;)